Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blowing My Amp Fuse!!!

Hey R3v,

I just bought my amp, sub, and head unit from one of my friends. I got everything for $180 so it was an awesome deal and it slaps!!

Anyways... I keep blowing my amp fuse(40w) and I can't figure out why. Here is what I have:

*Kenwood Kac-7205 1000-Watt Stereo/Bridgeable Amplifier
    *12 inch L7
    *Kenwood KDC248U In-Dash Head Unit Car Stereo

I don't understand why... I already blew 15 fuses so it's pissing me off... oh
    and the amps bass boost or whatever I keep lowering it but it wont stop blowing.

Please and thank you!!!
    sigpic

How is it wired? Which L7, the dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm? You might have it running at the wrong ohm load...Acceptable would be either:

a) dual 4 ohm sub running the amp as a 2 channel, one to each voice coil. Not the right way to do it, but shouldn't break anything.

b) dual 2 ohm sub wired in parallel to get a 4 ohm load, then running the amp mono. The proper way.

If you are doing one of those, I'd check out your wiring to make sure you don't have any sloppy connections, then I'd swap that fuse out for a 50 or 55. Your amp is rated at 500 watts rms, a 40amp fuse is a bit small.

Also, check your gain settings...they shouldn't be cranked all the way over and should not be confused as a 'more bass' knob.
    92 325ic 5 speed, hard top, windscreen, 133k, for sale
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lylefk View Post
      b) dual 2 ohm sub wired in parallel to get a 4 ohm load, then running the amp mono. The proper way.
      Uh, no. Series wiring would be correct. I know it was a typo, just a duh moment.

But he is right, you have your shit wired wrong. Fix it before it smokes.

Take the woofer out and post the exact model number, there are about a zillion different L7s.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

hey this is how my system is wired at the moment, it's a mess i know lol..

I'll be taking the sub apart later and looking at what you guys suggested.
        sigpic

Comment

What is that ground wire connected to?

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

The ground wire(black) is grounded to the body up in the shelf. I made my own ground using a screw.
            sigpic

Comment

Okay I pulled the sub out of the box and it reads:

Kicker Solo-Baric L7•4 Ohm Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer•RoHS Compliant•Made In China•08S12L74

Pictures in a second...
              sigpic

Comment

Here you can see how it's wired. can someone make sure it's wired properly.
                sigpic

Comment

why not just ground to the battery that is right there?
                  -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                  -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                  MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                  Got Drop?? ;-)
                  Originally posted by JinormusJ
                  But of course
                  E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Luke said to make your own ground point so i did. lol but I guess that does make sense. everything is just temporary im going to move stuff around as soon as I figure this out.
                    sigpic

Comment

Anyone?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alberthype View Post
                        Here you can see how it's wired. can someone make sure it's wired properly.
                        This is your issue, it is wired wrong. You need to run that woofer in series. Look at the owners manual, it will show you exactly how. It is likely on Kickers website, you really should read it anyway.

Here is the bitch: your amp will make WAY less power when it is wired "correctly", as in the amp you have will be "half power" when it is wired safely.

Let me explain: say your amp makes 500 watts at 4 ohms. If it is capable, it will make 1000 watts at 2 ohms...but that also means it will only make 125 watts at 8 ohms. See the issue here? You need a 4 ohm load, but you have 2 4 ohm loads, so you can either make 8 ohms (half power) or 2 ohms (nearly double power, but smokes your amp pretty soon)

Your woofer and your amp are basically incompatible. You can make it work, but it is stupid. Find $120 and you can buy a better matched amp that works with your woofer AND you get real power on the fronts.

You really would do better to use the Kenwood you have now to run your front speakers and find a small mono amp (say, 500 watts RMS) to run that L7.

Basically, for you to get a proper installation, you need to change either the woofer (you need a SVC 4 ohm woofer, or a DVC 2 ohm per coil woofer) or the amp. L7s can make a ton of bass, but they are kinda muddy, so while you get a ton of boom, it isn't very good boom...but it is better than no bass at all, right?

So, find money to get a bass amp. You need a true 1 channel "class A/B" amp, there are millions of them on the market.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Damn.. screw it i'm going to sell the L7 for about $150 then save up and buy a Luke box. Thanks for the help everyone. Luke expect a PM Soooonhttp
                          Last edited by Alberthype; 01-28-2012, 09:48 PM. Reason: cause ima boss
                          sigpic

Comment

Dur...thanks for the fix luke

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
                            92 325ic 5 speed, hard top, windscreen, 133k, for sale
                            sigpic

Comment

Dammit, my math is wrong in that post.

The 8 ohm power of that theoretical amp would be 250 watts, not 125.

Jeez, 2 professionals posting incorrect info on one thread? WTF, R3V is going to the dogs.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                              X