Help, amp cut out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, amp cut out!

I'm running the basic LukeBox setup right now, Infinity 10" sub and the Jensen amp. Driving home today the amp just cut out. The Jensen has a little base dial that sits below the CD player. Normally there's a little green light next to it, but when the amp cut out it turned red. Obviously the first thing I checked were the fuses, and they were fine. Upon doing so I noticed that the amp was really quite hot to the touch, which has me pretty worried...

So... did I fry my amp?

Should not be that hot.

First thang is make sure all bass boost is off (use sub level control) and use a testlight to test that fuse, not your eyeballs.

August R3VLimited Special: E3012 "V3" box: $225 shipped

Tutorials: Killer $500 Stereo | E30 Vert Dual 8'' Box Installation | E3010 Amp Rack Installation | Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

Comment

I drove the car again today and everything worked fine. Is there something that could cause my amp to run so hot that it shuts itself off as a failsafe?

Comment

Originally posted by Cliche Guevara View Post
        I drove the car again today and everything worked fine. Is there something that could cause my amp to run so hot that it shuts itself off as a failsafe?
        Yes, improper tuning will do it if you are using one of my boxes.

Make sure ALL bass boost if set to ZERO, the box adds all the bass that amp can handle. Use the sub level control to control the boom, not the EQ.

Tutorials: Killer $500 Stereo | E30 Vert Dual 8'' Box Installation | E3010 Amp Rack Installation | Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

Comment

Originally posted by German Audio Specialties View Post
          Yes, improper tuning will do it if you are using one of my boxes.

Make sure ALL bass boost if set to ZERO, the box adds all the bass that amp can handle. Use the sub level control to control the boom, not the EQ.
          You mean the bass adjuster on my CD player?

Comment

Check your ground wire, make sure you sand/wirebrush all the paint off where the ground is, and use a nut and bolt not a screw. It could be moving around causing it work sometimes and not other times.
            But like German Audio was saying try to run your cd player bass adjustment as low as possible, like 1 or 2.
            but here's a video on tuning your amp,
            The tuning process for a car's amplifier is the most important process after installation, and this is done by turning the amplifier down, turning the radio ...

Comment

Jenson car audio amps are notorious for shutting down due to overheating, seen it many times. Jenson amps will shut down at a point where other amps will not. The problem will go away and you will experience increased subwoofer output by replacing the amp with an upgrade model from a quality manufacturer. Some easily obtainable quality amps are JL audio, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer, Zapco, Memphis just to name a few.
              Owner - Bavarian Restoration
              BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
              www.BavRest.com
              My Feedback Thread
              Our Facebook!
              Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Greg, these new Jensens are exactly the same board and components as your average chinese POS amp, IE the Memphis, lower-end Fosgate, JL, etc. I personally have installed 9 of them, they are exactly the same product, in other words, WAY better than the old blue piles of crap.

None of the ones I have installed have issues with overheating, using the same woofer as he has.

Comment

Originally posted by German Audio Specialties View Post
                  Greg, these new Jensens are exactly the same board and components as your average chinese POS amp
                  Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                  BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
                  X