No announcement yet.

Help me design a trunk setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamond is the highs I was talking about when I said I had a $1200 set. Amazing clarity. Right up there with the MB and Focal stuff. I'm not too keen on their new sub line as its been a few years, but the old aluminum ones they had were prone to tearing. For the money you are gonna be spending its almost all personal decision ultimately. Go with something you know you'll be happy with. Unless you are dropping huge amounts of money, there is very little difference in the SQ at this point. If I had it to do all over again I'd go with Kove. ;) Are they even still around? *LOL*

Comment

hey digitalwave I am selling two 12" subs in a bandpass box. I only used them for like a month and they sound great. I want to sell em because It might be a pain takin them out before ever auto-x and I need money. I know you were looking for one 10 or 12 but I though you might be interested.

Last edited by asubimmer; 12-08-2005, 11:15 AM.
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Luke thanks for the ramble, its imformative and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. You said you like to see 95 sens. and around 30hz response. Well, the D610D2 that you recommended only has 84 sens and it his 23hz and costs $160. The TM310D4 on the other had does 90db and hits 28hz, and only costs $80. Does that make it a better choice for a sealed box?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Yeah, but I thought you would want more power handling. Make sure the woofer has a manufacture date after 8/05. There were some glue issues before then.

The TM3 is a extra thin application. I like the D3 better. I did 4 of those in a F150 with 1200 watts running it...nice and clean, plenty of boom.

Make sure whatever you get ends up 4 ohms. Dual 2 ohm, dual 8 Ohm or single 4 ohm, all perform exactly the same. DVC is only for matching the load, or running 2 amps per woofer.

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Luke, I was actually looking for less power handling since I will only be running 220 watts RMS to this sub. The TM3 is available in a single 4 ohm and the D6 is available in dual 2 ohm.

The D3 is dual 2 ohm, but it goes back down to the 84 sens just like the D6, its just half the price. The response is down to 28hz though, which is the same as the TM3.

RISING EDGE

Comment

resonant engineering

I have an RE SX 10" sub in a ported box
              powerd by a kicker kx-800.2 (only using one channel)
              MB quart component rear
              Boston component front
              pioneer premiere gxm434
              with alpine cda-9855 headunit
              with kca-i420 ipod interface

sounds great!!!!
              I would contact them... my sub was ~$140-160 like 4 years ago when they were a new company
              Last edited by e30evolution; 12-08-2005, 03:43 PM.

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Originally posted by e30evolution
                resonant engineering
                http://www.reaudio.com/html/
                What about them? Where can I buy them?

RISING EDGE

Comment

if your main concern is SQ (sounds you listen to the same shit i do, punk, metal, fast paced stuff), i would go boston pro or image dynamics. i love boston subs.
                  sigpic

Comment

For the money right now I am still leaning towards the IDQ10D2 because its cheaper than the Diamond and the sensitivity is better.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by e30sd
                      if your main concern is SQ (sounds you listen to the same shit i do, punk, metal, fast paced stuff), i would go boston pro or image dynamics. i love boston subs.
                      I'm doing an audio revamp too, and was thinking about Boston speakers, but not the subs. I'll probably pick up JL's 10W7. I have heard enough reviews of Bostons being great acoustic (SQ) speakers, I just wish they had a 3-way component set.

Comment

I wish I could afford W7's, I really like them.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Wow. Somebody here that knows Resonant Engineering. TJ, RE is definitely a good company. You can order through them direct from the company. I highly recommend them.

Will
                          RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                          Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                          DaveCN = Old Man
                          My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                          If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                            I wish I could afford W7's, I really like them.
                            If you like JL I can't see why you don't go for something like a W3 or even their W0/W1 line. I used to have 2 12W0s (sealed box) powered by ~260 watts and they were awesome. Don't assume I'm a basshead, either. I listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop, but I also listen to many other types of music (metal included) and each type of music has its own sound that I was easily able to adjust my system to play properly. I have Diamond Audio components up front and Eclipse coaxials in the rear being powered by nearly 300 watts, so I don't think I'm lacking with anything not sub-bass. The W0s received rave reviews and are still easily the best bang-for-the-buck option out there. Peruse through this archive, if you will: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/multimedia...hp?page_id=122

Now, Luke's probably going to get pretty heated over this but I have to bring it up. Sensitivity @ 1w/1m is a rating that has little real-world application. This is a MANUFACTURER rating. Nowhere in the "xx SPL" number they come up with do they describe which audio signal should be used, what kind of enclosure the driver is working in, or the characteristics of the measuring chamber (it could be big and live or small and dead, or even be measured inside the car). With these characteristics being noted you produce very different results. As long as there is no international approved standard, each manufacturer is free to use the one it thinks is best and even use different ones for each line carried.

That being said, nearly all of JL's subwoofers have a sensitivity rating of under 88 db, and the flagship 13W7 boasts an 86.3. Theories aside it's up to you whom to believe, but I hope you understand where my stance is coming from.

Try using something like this to come up with more realistic efficiency ratings to use in your comparisons: http://www.mhsoft.nl/Reference.asp

Flame on...
                            Last edited by DSchultz325e; 12-09-2005, 03:05 AM.
                            I retired my E30 for now...
                            E46 323i
                            David Schultz

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist
                              Wow. Somebody here that knows Resonant Engineering. TJ, RE is definitely a good company. You can order through them direct from the company. I highly recommend them.

Will
                              I was thinking about buying 2 12" SE's from RE. I'm pretty sure they're having a sale right now so ask about it if you buy anything from them.

91 318is | 97 FZJ80

Comment

Just my 2 cents on JL.

Very good sub I find mine to be very capable of deafining me when I want but being able to handle quick tight bass notes as well. I have a w3v2.

I have a trunk setup very similar to Jordans (actually had mine first if you want to split hairs) but if you need any help/dimensions of my false pannels/pictures give me a shout.

Also I recently switched from a 2 channel amp to a 4 channel with 2 bridged to the rear and it is working quite nicely. I am going to pick up a new deck soon then I will be chillin.

Sold it.

Comment

Working...
                                X