Installing a car starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a car starter

Hey guys, I'm going to install a car starter on my friends 2002 Protege, but is there somewhere that I can find a wiring diagram for the install, and far as what wires I'm going to have to tap into on the car?

I know installers must use a website that gives them access to that... anyone have a hook-up?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Dozyproductions
    All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Edit: Not sure if you guys in the warm part of the world have starters or not... but I'm talking about a remote start...not a starter for the engine.

Forgive me if this is insulting your intelligence, haha but last time I was in Cali people were mind boggled by the fact that I could start my car with a remote.

Comment

This is about the best you can get without a dealer account to a company like Directed Electronics.

Comment

Hope you plan on soldering the wires. Plus does the car have an electronic key?
        sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
        The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

I often use www.the12volt.com

A '02 Protege should not have a transponder, and certainly no databus, so all you have to do is the analog stuff, should be pretty simple.

If I can help, shoot me a PM. I am busier than ever now, but I will do what I can.

GL and go kick its ass!

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

And please do not use solder. Butt splicing is much better.
            -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
              I often use www.the12volt.com

A '02 Protege should not have a transponder, and certainly no databus, so all you have to do is the analog stuff, should be pretty simple.

If I can help, shoot me a PM. I am busier than ever now, but I will do what I can.

GL and go kick its ass!

Luke

Thanks a lot man! I'll let you know if I run into any snags. Do you recommend solder, or splicing with butt connectors? I've heard disadvantages to both...
              I personally like solder, but that's me.

Also... Have you ever dealt with a "secondary starter wire"? The diagram I was looking at earlier says that the protege has one, but the remote start doesn't have a wire to hook into that. I briefly googled it and it started talking about having to wire something in separately? What exactly does it do? Is it a safety or something?

and yeah, he doesn't want me to hook up his lights to it either, so it's really quite simple...I just have to know which wires are which under the dash. No electronic key either, it's about as easy as it gets.

Comment

Yeah, secondary starter wire...no fun!

You will need a basic SPDT relay. If the starter brain has the output, it is easy.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Both crimp or solder are acceptable forms of termination.

Solder and heat shrink have the long term advantage of greatly reducing oxidation over the years. The heat shrink will greatly reduce the amount of oxygen that the metal will be exposed to over time, thus increase longevity.
                  Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                  BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

None of my tech lists a second starter for an 02 Protege. They all have a second ignition though. What brand of remote starter are you putting in?

I personally solder all my connections, because I think it is pretty dumb to cut a perfectly good wire in half to make a connection. Of course I have the proper equipment to make a proper solder connection on larger gauge ignition wires.

Comment

Also the doorlocks(if it has power doorlocks) are a little more complicated than the average car as 1 wire controls lock and unlock, and will require a little knowledge about relays to get working.

Comment

Any chance you can send me your tech lists for this car? ;)

and yeah, not secondary starter sorry...secondary ignition. It does have power locks though. ugh. I can't remember the brand of remote start... he bought it at Visions. I'll check on that when I get home.

I just need a print out that tells me what to hook up to what. There's gotta be one out there no?

Comment

Just viewed that Bulldog site...actually pretty detailed. That should get me through it I think. I'll post again if I get confuckulated.

Comment

Working...
                          X