• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a powered Zune dock...

So here's the goal: I want to put this dock,

for this Zune,

into my front ashtray, running into this head unit,

(Except my head unit has an AUX jack instead of USB.)

It appears that the dock will fit into it with some cutting, and I plan on using the remote to operate it as the controls on the Zune will be covered by the ashtray. However, the dock has to be plugged in to be used. What's the best way to get power to it? I'd like to keep my cigarette lighter operational for charging things like my phone if possible. I'm not knowledgeable on electronics, so any help would be much appreciated. The docks are very cheap now that Zunes are discontinued, so I'm not afraid to splice wires, solder, or whatever else might need to be done, as screwing up won't be too costly.

Thanks!
    Last edited by AdamPlaysDrums; 12-16-2012, 06:07 PM.

Just buy an iPod. I've been using my ZuneHD as a doorstop. Microsoft dropped those things for a reason.

Comment

Eh, I love mine. No problems for 2ish years so far. Knock on wood...

Comment

Originally posted by AdamPlaysDrums View Post
        So here's the goal: I want to put this dock,

It appears that the dock will fit into it with some cutting, and I plan on using the remote to operate it as the controls on the Zune will be covered by the ashtray. However, the dock has to be plugged in to be used. What's the best way to get power to it? I'd like to keep my cigarette lighter operational for charging things like my phone if possible. I'm not knowledgeable on electronics, so any help would be much appreciated. The docks are very cheap now that Zunes are discontinued, so I'm not afraid to splice wires, solder, or whatever else might need to be done, as screwing up won't be too costly.

Thanks!
        Since it looks like the dock connects via USB, it's a safe bet to say it needs a 5v power source. You could take apart a 5v car cell phone charger that you're not using and power it from any switched 12v source in the area.

What I would do is start with a voltage regulator (one like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/107) and an extra USB cable. I would then cut the USB cable on the end that connects to the computer normally and connect (solder) it to the regulator like this:
        Voltage regulator input -> switched 12v from car
        Voltage regulator output -> + line in USB cable (red wire in USB cable)
        Voltage regulator ground -> both to car ground and USB cable ground (black wire in USB cable)
        Data lines in USB cable (D+/D-, usually green/yellow from what I've seen) -> nothing, cut them and leave them

This would supply your dock 5v when the accessory is on through the USB cable that you spliced. You wouldn't even have to take apart the dock.
        Last edited by MattPro; 12-16-2012, 08:18 PM.
        Thanks,
        Matt

Check out my BMW Fault Code Index
        '89 Turbo M20 Zinno Cabrio (scrapped)
        '89 Zinno IX (sold)
        '91 Granit Turbo S52 Sedan (scrapped)
        '91 WIP (scrapped)
        '13 F10 Carbon Black 550iX MSport
        '91 iX Sedan

Comment

I made this for the Zune HD I used to have:

Used one of these:

The block on the dock is a piece of wood I carved the back out to fit the multi-pin plug, then epoxied it into place, then epoxied the block to a plate of aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by MattPro View Post
            Since it looks like the dock connects via USB, it's a safe bet to say it needs a 5v power source. You could take apart a 5v car cell phone charger that you're not using and power it from any switched 12v source in the area.

This would supply your dock 5v when the accessory is on through the USB cable that you spliced. You wouldn't even have to take apart the dock.
            Awesome! Thanks for that, that's extremely helpful. But when you say switched 12v source, does that refer to the cigarette lighter or something else? I'd like to keep the cigarette lighter open for other things if that's possible, though it may not be. Or should I use the wire powering it and attach it to the regulator/dock?

Andrew, that is an incredibly clean dock. Does that just sit in the ashtray?

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for that, that's extremely helpful. But when you say switched 12v source, does that refer to the cigarette lighter or something else? I'd like to keep the cigarette lighter open for other things if that's possible, though it may not be. Or should I use the wire powering it and attach it to the regulator/dock?

Andrew, that is an incredibly clean dock. Does that just sit in the ashtray?

If the cigarette lighter is switched (I can't remember off the top of my head), I would splice into the wires that feed it. I would cut one in half, strip both ends, and tie the wire to the regulator with one of the ends then put both halves in a wire crimp and connect them together. That way you could keep the functionality of the cigarette lighter yet use it's easy to access wiring to do everything.
              If the cigarette lighter isn't switched, I would do the same thing with the switched wire going into your headunit (which according to this diagram should be violet/gray: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/atta...1&d=1163787689)

Sorry if I'm not being clear, just let me know and I'll try to explain it better :up:
              Thanks,
              Matt

'89 Zinno IX (sold)
              '91 WIP (scrapped)
              '91 iX Sedan

Comment

If you plan on cutting the bakelite material of the ashtray, be careful. The fumes are fucking nasty toxic and the stupid things like to shatter.

GL!
                Luke

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

That did actually clear things up, gracias! Now all I'm waiting for are some keys to remove the headset and I'll be set. I'll put a picture or two up tomorrow if it all goes smoothly.

Thanks for the heads-up Luke. I had no idea that was toxic, though I did find out for myself how easily that shit shatters haha.

Comment

Apparently my head unit requires a source selector to use the audio bus in ports on the backside of the unit. Is there any way to get around that or should I just go ahead and buy a cheap selector and roll with it?

Comment

Also, I could not find the ground listed in this: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/atta...1&d=1163787689

on the wiring harness for the stereo in my car. After soldering everything together, the dock works just fine when the ignition is turned, but once the car is actually started it buzzes and makes other noises. I assume this is a lack of that ground?

Comment

Originally posted by MattPro View Post
                        If the cigarette lighter is switched (I can't remember off the top of my head)
                        If i remember correctly the cigarette lighter is not switched in my car. You added lots of great info in this thread. Im sure I can use some for future projects.

Comment

Also, I could not find the ground listed in this: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/atta...1&d=1163787689

on the wiring harness for the stereo in my car. After soldering everything together, the dock works just fine when the ignition is turned, but once the car is actually started it buzzes and makes other noises. I assume this is a lack of that ground?
                          If you're avoiding splicing up the cigarette lighter wiring, you can run your own ground to the area under your steering wheel. Inside the knee-bolster cover below your dash there's two posts used as ground posts, look near the ABS computer for two bolts with a ton of wires with o-ring connectors all stacked up. Run yourself a new wire up underneath the HVAC panel and route it around to that post, throw an o-ring connector on and bolt it on. Instant ground.

If you want I can snap a quick picture of this but it's pretty easy to find. I recently used this for a new ground for my stereo when it stopped working for some reason.

Sorry for not responding sooner!

And also about the source selector, I'm not sure about your stereo specifically but it sounds like the cheapest thing to do would be to get a source selector. Some stereos you can do crazy stuff like mod the firmware with USB drives but that doesn't sound worth it in this case.
                          Thanks,
                          Matt

'89 Zinno IX (sold)
                          '91 WIP (scrapped)
                          '91 iX Sedan

Comment

whatever happened to this?
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                            ---------------------------------
                            89 E30 S52
                            ---------------------------------
                            Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Zunes ftw. My Zune HD beats the shit out of the iTouch. Apple sucks anyways. Microsoft finally had something going with the last zune and they stopped, sad. Ive had this thing for years and it has served me faithfully. Of course i just use it in my car via Aux cables.
                              Celebrating 30 years.
                              1986 E30 Coupe, assembled in Munich, West Germany, 7/7/86. M10 5 Speed cruisin' through time and space

Comment

Working...
                              X