Slow battery drain! Need help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow battery drain! Need help...

I have a slow drain on my battery and when the key is not in the accessory or on position I have the battery warning light on the cluster. I measured the drain at 0.9A and I did the fuse trick to trace the draw with no luck. When I disconnected the cluster (to turn off the battery warning light) the drain went to a reasonable 0.2A.
    Now I think the battery warning light is the drain but I have no idea why the light is on in the first place. Battery voltage measures at 12.4V.

BTW, I did an M60 swap so I do have custom C101 to X20 harness.

Any ideas?

So your battery warning light is on even with no key in the ignition? There are many devices that share the same fuse as the cluster. Mostly interior related.

If there is shorting in your cluster you probably will have to open it up and inspect for charring or damaged. Check the SI board too. Also inspect the three wiring harness that lead to the cluster.

Remove the radio and check that wiring and the OBC too.

Keep in mine 0.9A is a huge draw so hopefully that will make things obvious. 0.2A is also quite large. Max draw should be around 40 mA with all the doors and trunk closed.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Hi

Your car won’t start. The battery is so dead that the dome light barely makes enough illumination to help you find the key slot, not that turning the key generates anything more than a muted click underhood.

Usually, a dead battery wouldn’t be that big of a deal, right? Except your car is parked in an airport parking lot, it’s raining, and your cellphone is dead. It’s going to be a long, wet walk back to a pay phone to call AAA for a jump.

All is fine—until the next morning when it’s déjà vu. A quick boost from your battery charger gets your engine running, and a charging-system voltage test confirms that your alternator is charging. Further poking around doesn’t uncover an obvious electrical issue. After charging the battery overnight, the car starts fine. But when left overnight without the charger, the car refuses to start. Conclusion: Something’s draining the battery. You’ve got parasitic battery drain.

Australia Immigration

Immigration Overseas
      Australia Immigration

Comment

It might sound silly, but check your trunk lid. Mine was really sloppy and lifted just enough for the light to stay on. Tightened it up and BINGO, problem solved. I used the video camera on my phone to check it.

Comment

Working...
        X