My Lukebox Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Lukebox Install

This is just the beginning of it, I'm still waiting on wire to show up. Somehow it managed to get lost in the mail, so over the weekend I had everything else, I figured I would at least get everything mocked up because I had some wood to cut so everything would fit properly. I intended to go with a 5 channel amp in the beginning, but since I'm one of those go big or go home type people I opted for 2 amps, one of my friends in TX supplied me with the sub and component set for pretty cheap. I was going to go with Hifonics brutus amps, but got a better deal on the PPI stuff. Sorry for my not so great pictures. My only time to work is at night after the kiddo's go to sleep in a not so well lit garage.

Here's my setup.
    12" Lukebox
    Lukeamp Rack
    Alpine UBT-42bt head unit
    Alpine SPR-60c 6.5 in component set for the front
    Alpine 12" type R Dual 2 ohm sub
    Precision Power 800.4 Black ice amp for mids-highs
    Precision Power 1300.1 Mono Block sub amp

Gotta say first off the the craftsmanship Luke puts into this box and amp rack is top notch. Like he says there's no way your finding anything at even double the price that fits and looks as good. He supplied me a template for cutting 2 holes in my rear deck to put the ports through. This template was fool-proof, and made my life easy for drilling holes. Except for the fact that hot shards of metal falls all over you when cutting. At least wear safety glasses while doing this.

And of course, gotta knock out the ski pass. A bigger hammer would have made it easier, but this one did the job. I found these RCA cables and another wire coming through the hole from the previous owner, but those are coming out and new wires installed and routed differently.

My rear deck was looking really tired and shitty, so I figured it would be a good time to take it out and recover it.

Next up was to mount the 6.5 inch components up front to replace the 5.25 non premium speakers. This was tricky because these speakers are too deep to fit, but only by about 1/16 of an inch. Alpine supplies some odd shape mounting rings about 1/4 inch thick that I broke off all the tabs to make round, I put foam on the back of the rings for a good seal, screwed those into the mounting holes already there for the 5.25 in speakers. The rings have brass inserts in them to attach the 6.5's. Worked out fairly easily, I did have to space out my hood latch about 1/4 inch to clear the rubber surround and trim off some of the panel under the dash on the drivers side, but that was no big deal. I still need to cut the kick panels to fit around them, but here they are installed. I bought some tweeter pods from another member and the alpine tweeters fit in the pods flawlessly with a little glue. These speakers sound fucking amazing running off the deck power, I can't imagine how good they will sound with some power.

Here's a couple pics of the sub, it's in the hole, but not screwed in, it's weighted towards the bottom of the hole and is off centered. I just wanted to make sure the box depth was ok.

Next up was mounting the amps. Going with 2 amps I was originally wanting to put one in the rack and one in the spare wheel well under glass but decided against it because I wanted to keep my spare just in case. So after thinking about this for a while going through ideas of how to mount the amps I figured I would mount one on top of the other with some space in between. Luke's amp rack is really only deep enough for one amp, so I had to build the rack out 2.25 inches from the box to give me clearance. I kept a half inch between the amps to keep the air flowing from the fans to keep them cool. I had to build a couple wooden brackets to go up and over the bottom amp to mount the top amp to. At first I was going to mount them centered one over the other, but I didn't get to see enough of the bottom amp. So I spread them out to fill up the entire area of the glass. Like I said, I am still waiting on wire, and I am actually glad because without it I was totally not in a rush to make it right. If I would of had wire I would have probably cut some corners just to get everything hooked up and hear it. It worked out for the better.

Here is what I was originally going to do.

And here is what I ended up doing.

The amp rack face still lines up flawlessly on the right side with the curve of the side carpet panel, the left side is a little off, but it almost looks as if it was meant to be that way for the jack. I need to get a picture of the left side. I will put up more pics as I keep going, especially of the front kick panels and the rear seat. I plan to port the rear seat foam. I was going to use two 4 inch ports, but now I'm thinking of getting a 8" type R subwoofer grill and sticking in the middle of the seat. Damnit I can't wait to get my fucking wire!!!!!
    Last edited by campbellj25; 05-04-2013, 02:12 PM.

I bet it's going to sound nice.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      I bet it's going to sound nice.
      I'm sure hoping so, I seen in a for sale ad on here a while back with someone selling a type r 12 and Luke's response was

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
      This combo in one of my 12" boxes will rip your head off, but gracefully, with terrific detail and clarity.

Want nice, clean big fat bass in your car? Do it.
      Sounded just like what I was looking for so I went that route with a little more power. We shall see....

Comment

Working...
      X