Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW Homelink/Compress/Alarm Mirror Retrofit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW Homelink/Compress/Alarm Mirror Retrofit?

Anyone ever try to retrofit a BMW homelink mirror to E30? I know they have mulit functions (dimming, homelink, compress...etc) but all I want is the homelink function, anyone? :)
    92 Alpine White 325iC M-Tech II Appearance Package

Originally posted by Prost View Post
    Anyone ever try to retrofit a BMW homelink mirror to E30? I know they have mulit functions (dimming, homelink, compress...etc) but all I want is the homelink function, anyone? :)
    I have it in my car. i got power from the check panel so it turns off when you pull the key from ignition. dimming, compass and homelink are fully automatic, doesn't need anything but power. you can hook up the reverse signal and then it won't dim if you're backing up so you can see but it's not really needed. i personally love it! it appears to be hard to program the homelink sometimes but it might be just me.
    Also i have a convertible so it goes right on the stock location on the windshield.

EDIT:
    There are a few versions of that mirror. i believe there is one that has the homelink but no compass and maybe no dimming either but that i'm not sure of.

Comment

Originally posted by treff-7 View Post
      I have it in my car. i got power from the check panel so it turns off when you pull the key from ignition. dimming, compass and homelink are fully automatic, doesn't need anything but power. you can hook up the reverse signal and then it won't dim if you're backing up so you can see but it's not really needed. i personally love it! it appears to be hard to program the homelink sometimes but it might be just me.
      Also i have a convertible so it goes right on the stock location on the windshield.

EDIT:
      There are a few versions of that mirror. i believe there is one that has the homelink but no compass and maybe no dimming either but that i'm not sure of.
      Thanks, yes, there are several version, all I need is homelink but I think any homelink one will have dimming by default (compress is optional). I really want to do it and do you mind to send me pictures? I also have an E30 Convertible...thanks a million ;)

Comment

Thanks, yes, there are several version, all I need is homelink but I think any homelink one will have dimming by default (compress is optional). I really want to do it and do you mind to send me pictures? I also have an E30 Convertible...thanks a million ;)
        I don't have it in the car currently.:-( I had the windshield replaced recently and it didn't come with the metal mount on it so I need to glue that on first. I can send you pics of the wiring though.
        I guess you don't have a mirror yet. Here's an advice. These mirrors are expensive so to save some $$ I went on ebay and bought a mirror that have homelink, compass and all the bells and whistles BUT the mirror was broken so I got it for like $20. Then I searched again and bought another one that had nothing but dimming $25. I pulled the mirror out of that one and replaced the broken one. I had to cut the little window for the compass but it wasn't too hard and came out nice. The whole thing cost me $45 and I have a mirror that goes for over $200. You might be able to do something similar.

EDIT:
        I just noticed you are in LA as well. Where exactly?

Comment

I am in SGV...

I just score a dimming and homelink one on eBay today for $50 (I guess I am doing OK :p)

Can you show me the wiring Picture?

Comment

Nice! Congrats!
            On the mirror pin3 is +12V, pin10 is ground.
            Here's where I got switched power from:

Ground is coming from the dome light ground
            Switched power is from purple/grey wire from check panel
            Hope this helps!

Comment

Nice! Congrats!
              On the mirror pin3 is +12V, pin10 is ground.
              Here's where I got switched power from:

Ground is coming from the dome light ground
              Switched power is from purple/grey wire from check panel
              Hope this helps!
              Thanks, but do you need some kind of plug on the mirror, I think I need a adaptor...

Comment

Well I had a getto solution first. I took apart a totally different connector that was used roughly the dame sized pins and just pushed them on the 2 pins. Later I got 2 female connectors from a junkyard. I still have the getto solution installed and you can kinda see it in the picture.

Comment

Well I had a getto solution first. I took apart a totally different connector that was used roughly the dame sized pins and just pushed them on the 2 pins. Later I got 2 female connectors from a junkyard. I still have the getto solution installed and you can kinda see it in the picture.
                  I see...BTW, how you mount the mirror on the windshield? The metal thing for the E30 stock mirror doesn't fit for the new homelink mirror...

Comment

It does fit. They use the same mount. You need to put it on turned 45 degrees (maybe 60) and then turn it into position to lock it. Just be careful and don't break the metal piece off the windshield.
                    Last edited by treff-7; 05-27-2013, 10:19 AM.

Comment

It does fit. They use the same mount. You need to put it on turned 45 degrees (maybe 60) and then turn it into position to lock it. Just be careful and don't break the metal piece off the windshield.
                      Humm...I try and it doesn't fit on mine...let me try again, BTW, how do you know what pin number is on the mirror?

Comment

Humm...I try and it doesn't fit on mine...let me try again, BTW, how do you know what pin number is on the mirror?
                        if you look inside the connector there is a tiny little 1 by pin1. I'll check tomorrow which one it is. I can't remember.

If your mirror still doesn't fit, take a picture of your mount and the mirror so i can compare it to mine. Maybe something is fishy.

Comment

if you look inside the connector there is a tiny little 1 by pin1. I'll check tomorrow which one it is. I can't remember.

If your mirror still doesn't fit, take a picture of your mount and the mirror so i can compare it to mine. Maybe something is fishy.
                          Thanks, I will take some pictures tonight, so for a basic homelink function to work, just connect power (12V) on pin 3 and ground on pin 10 should work? Do I need to connect "other" wires?

Comment

Thanks, I will take some pictures tonight, so for a basic homelink function to work, just connect power (12V) on pin 3 and ground on pin 10 should work? Do I need to connect "other" wires?
                            I only connected those two on mine and homelink, compass and auto dimming worked As well. I searched around and saw that a pin out diagram mentioned another pin getting constant 12v but mine worked fine without it. Other pins have funcions like light sensor output for dimming side mirrors, reverse light input for disabling auto dimming during reversing, input for alarm indicator light...
                            For basic funcionality only power needed.

Comment

Here is the old mirror:

New homelink mirror:

And the mirror mount from E30 windshield (fell off, need to put it back on):

Thanks, also, do you have more picture of your install?

Comment

Working...
                              X