Another speedo question with pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another speedo question with pics.

So I have never had a working speedometer, it has always jumped around. I have changed out clusters, speedometeres and circuit boards that have been refurbished. Gregs///m was nice enough to take my whole cluster and run tests and he found it to work perfectly with no hiccups. My thought now is that it has to be the pulse generator in the dif. I pulled it out and it was clean as a button but I did notice the wiring was a little ghetto.

My speedo jumps around until it is warm and then works as it should as long as I am going a constant speed. Works best on the freeway after being sufficiently warmed up.

The pics were taken after I removed the screws.

I am assuming this isn't stock, could this be the issue? I easily pulled them out with very little resistance.

Should I grab a plug from the yard and splice it in?
    sigpic
    TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
    FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Hi

So I have never had a working speedometer, it has always jumped around. I have changed out clusters, speedometeres and circuit boards that

Australia Visa
    Australia Immigration
    Australia Visa
    Australia Immigration

Comment

You are missing the outer plastic portion. The metal connectors fit inside a plastic house that clips to the actual sensor.

Comment

NitroRustlerDriver, do you know the part number for that plug housing? Is it the same housing used on the windshield washer pump and clutch switches? Better yet, do you know where to look to find this information?
        Many of the plug housings on my car are disintegrating. I have ordered some (that look similar in the Real OEM diagrams) but they are the wrong size and do not fit into the socket(s).

Comment

That would be awesome if it is. I checked real oem and they don't have anything I could find other than random plugs that don't say where they go.

I went to the yard this weekend and the plugs in the early models were different than what I have in my late model. All the late models there had the diffs pulled out so I couldn't even check.
          sigpic
          FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Yes, that random plugs that don't say where they go on Real OEM is the only resource I am aware of. Sometimes you can put the part number from Real OEM into the Pelican web site and it will say in the description where they go. Other times not.

Comment

So it was the God Damn loose connections in the diff. I crimped them so they would hold tighter and my speedometer works perfectly now.
              sigpic
              FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Woo hoo! Good to know. Thanks for getting back to us.

Comment

Originally posted by mcskibadee1 View Post
                  So it was the God Damn loose connections in the diff. I crimped them so they would hold tighter and my speedometer works perfectly now.
                  Wow, that is great to hear. It sucks when I test a 100% cluster only to hear the owner is still have vehicle wiring problems.

Im very happy to hear you have it sorted out.

BTW your rear differential vehicle speed sensor connector looked horrible. Totally dirty looking. Note to all those with speedo problems, make sure these connectors are very clean and secure!
                  Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                  BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Haha, I was actually about to message you that I had it sorted.

I need to get a plug from the yard and wire it correctly and clean it up. I was actually installing a new fan so this had to take a back seat to that. Next on my list is to definitely get this sorted. You dont know how happy I was to see that little needle swipe with such motion that I have never seen before.
                    sigpic
                    FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Working...
                    X