Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gauge cluster not working, now with video!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge cluster not working, now with video!

Been fighting this gauge cluster for awhile. The video contains (I think) all pertinent information.

Help me fix my 1991 318is. The gauge cluster is acting up. I just changed the SI board batteries, and the SI lights are green now, but still no juice to the ...

Plz help!

Easy,

1.Plug your coding plug IN
    2. install the two 7mm nuts behind the gas and temp gauge
    3. reset your service interval via diagnostic plug
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

For whatever reason the cluster that I have does not have a coding plug. It had a blank with the printed 'codier stecker' around it like it's supposed to, but it was covered with plastic. I popped the plastic off and there's no receptacle for the pin. I'm now unsure how to proceed.

Thanks-

Comment

Note that the cluster I removed from the car was a VDO and did have a coding plug. I'm trying to replace it with a Motometer from a 318i (1990 or 1991) at the junkyard. Just to clarify that.

Comment

In the video I can see the receptacle for a coding plug, you will need to use one for your 91.
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I do have the coding plug (from the old cluster) but I don't think it's going to work. Here's what I mean:

As you can see (hopefully the picture shows enough detail) there's just nothing back there. The plug was actually covered with a piece of plastic that I broke off, (you can still see the tabs that I broke it off of) leading me to think there's never been a coding plug in this thing.

I also don't see any 7mms on the back of the cluster. Did I just happen to pull out a really weird cluster?

Comment

No dude, thats not the coding plug... this is:

IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

And there's no 7mm nuts because they are missing. They attached to the back threaded stud of the temp and fuel gauge. Those are the ground studs, and without a ground, they will go full red/full.
                www.BavRest.com
                My Feedback Thread
                Our Facebook!
                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I believe they are talking about this coding plug.
                  sigpic
                  TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                  FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

This is the plug socket for the 1982-1986 clusters. The 1986-1992 clusters have the coding plug in front.
                    www.BavRest.com
                    My Feedback Thread
                    Our Facebook!
                    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Okay, very good information as always guys. So from this I can conclude that my car has had the cluster replaced previously, since the VDO that I pulled out was using the older coding plug.

In this case, I don't have a coding plug. Somebody must have pulled it at the JY before I got there. I'll also need to find those bolts somewhere. Off to eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb23ft View Post
                        Okay, very good information as always guys. So from this I can conclude that my car has had the cluster replaced previously, since the VDO that I pulled out was using the older coding plug.

In this case, I don't have a coding plug. Somebody must have pulled it at the JY before I got there. I'll also need to find those bolts somewhere. Off to eBay.
                        I have all this stuff in stock. Send me a PM with your car info, motor type with matching ECU
                        www.BavRest.com
                        My Feedback Thread
                        Our Facebook!
                        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
                        X