Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head unit tuning... "DSP", "Sound Enhancements", etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head unit tuning... "DSP", "Sound Enhancements", etc...

After following Luke's amplifier tuning guide, I can definitely say my system sounds 100% better! That being said, there are all kinds of electronic filters, enhancements, doo-dads and what-nots within the head unit. The instruction manual is totally rubbish and doesn't explain any of them at all...

It's a Kenwood KDC-X996 with a DSP - Digital Signal Processor. Which has all kinds of things like electronic x-overs (don't need), speaker size settings, "digital time alignment" (WTF?), Space Enhancer, Sound Excellence, Supreme Sound, Highway Sound, Sound Elevator, etc......

WTF is all this stuff? And are there any general rules of thumb for it? I'm tempted to turn off the DSP all together, but surely it must be worth something or it wouldn't be included with so many features. Anyone have any advice?

Time alignment gets delays firing of the speakers that are closer so that the sound from your speakers hits your ears at the same time. Simply measure from speaker to head placement.

A heads up, do the firmware updates for your X996. DSP tends to lock up on this model, along with a few other problematic areas.

Comment

Working...
    X