Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a little help with wiring up a water temperature gauge, please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a little help with wiring up a water temperature gauge, please :)

for many reasons, I was forced to get an aftermarket water temp. gauge, and got an autogauge silver series one. my main problem is about getting the + from the ignition lock so that the gauge would only work and take electricity when I actually use the car. I'd like some help with where exactly to put the + wire in there, so that it's done right, I ''achieve my goal'' and I won't burn anything down :D I'm not a complete noob with electricts (not a pro either) but I'd just like some help with that. if you'd reccommend taking the + from somewhere else (cigarette lighter or sth), do tell, I just thought of the ignition lock first.
    thanks in advance!
    P.S: sorry, if some of my text is difficult to understand - English isn't really my first language :/

I used the cigarette lighter and window kill-switch as well for others.
    And I'm a complete noob with electrics.

Get a test light pen (not sure if that's what it's called) to help you.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

doesn't the cigarette lighter have 12v in it at all times? that's what my friend told me, anyway. he also suggested taking the + from the lights switch, but I don't really like the idea of having to have the lights on to know what temperature the water is -.-

Comment

The thick green wire from the ignition switch harness would be the best place to wire that gauge.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

right near the ignition lock there's a green-purple and a green-yellow wire, and then further down the steering column, there is a green wire that's notably thicker than the others. is that the one you meant? where does it go to and what does it power?

Comment

its the ignition wire, switched power with key
            Owner - Bavarian Restoration
            BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
            www.BavRest.com
            My Feedback Thread
            Our Facebook!
            Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
            X