How to get this head unit out O.o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get this head unit out O.o

My new 89 325i vert, wanting to replace the current unit in it. Its a older sony xplode model and the darn thing will not come out of the dash. I can't figure it out, took it 1/4 of the way apart, faceplate, whatever is behind that, now its just a broke looking cd player that was victim to a fail theif'n.
    In the mean time I will go snap a pic.

You need removal keys or you'll have to pull the HVAC panel and remove the cage that way.
    - Josh
    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

The removal tools, aka "U" shaped handle things and the strait slider/pokers do not seem to work or have a proper spot to slide into.

Also...I am ordering a shift boot asap, soon as i figure out which material I want. So many choices.

Comment

As you have already removed front of the head unit, it may be easier just to remove the "cage" that holds the HU in place. To do this take a small flat screwdriver and pry the pressed in triangle shaped flaps flush with the rest of the unit, this should allow you to remove it without having to deal with the stereo removal tools.

Comment

there may be more holding it in, i cant tell by the pic.

Comment

Bending the cage back will be a pain with the head unit in there, most of them obscure the tabs anyways.

There are 4 screws that hold the HVAC panel into the dash, remove those and you'll be able to pull the whole thing out a couple inches. Then you can grab the tabs on the cage and pull the radio out. I'd do the cage removal/reinstallation with the panel out also as it will be much easier.

If you want to remove the whole panel without disconnecting the climate control cables, pull all the knobs and sliders. Then remove the plastic piece covering the blend control slots by prying it towards you with a plastic trim tool. Remove those screws and there shouldn't be much else holding the panel together.

Be prepared for a rat's nest in there. Mine was pretty bad, I had to rebuild most of the harnesses in there.
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by R1ckM View Post

The removal tools, aka "U" shaped handle things and the strait slider/pokers do not seem to work or have a proper spot to slide into.

Also...I am ordering a shift boot asap, soon as i figure out which material I want. So many choices.
              "Older Sony" is kind of vague, how about an actual model number?

If it is late 90's, you have a tiny slot either on the top or the bottom of the face.

Post a pic of the face of the deck, the part you took off, not the faceplate.

Look for slots in the upper right corner, or lower left corner, parallel to the top of the deck, not the sides. Only Sony did this BTW, but with the face off you should be able to see the little spring tabs that hold it to the cage.

GL!
              Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for posting up.
                I was waiting for someone so I decided to play around with it and found out the two strait knife like tools go into it at each top corner and push two tabs back and it pulls out.
                GOT IT, WOOT!

Comment

Working...
                X