Temp Gauge and window problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp Gauge and window problems

Alright everybody. My car is a 1987 BMW 325e sedan and I'm a little stumped on what's wrong with two things.

First, the temp gauge:

Temp gauge problems. The temp gauge stays buried at cold the entire time I drive the car, no matter how long the engine runs. I would like to fix this so that in the future I will know if I ever start overheating.

I assumed it was either a bad ground on the gauge or a bad coolant sensor since those seem to be common with these cars. So I pulled the plug off the sensor and grounded it. Turned the key to on and the gauge stayed buried at cold. I pulled the gauge out and cleaned up the ground connector on the gauge itself and made sure it's ground nut was tightened. Grounded the plug again, turned the key, gauge stayed buried at cold again.

So, it looks like the problem is the wire that goes from the gauge to the cluster or the gauge itself is just dead. Does anyone know what colour wire it is that runs to the temp gauge at the cluster? What else should I try?

Edit: I should mention that my cluster doesn't have and SI board. It just wasn't there when I bought the car. Does it by chance control the temp gauge?

Second, the rear window:

All of the windows worked when I bought the car two months ago. I didn't use the windows for a while after buying the car.

The problem I am having is with my rear driver-side window. It won't go up or down using either the switch on the console or the switch on the door. Both switches light up. The window lock button does disable the door switch. When I push the console switch up or down the door switch is also disabled, just like the passenger side. I don't even heat the motor try to move or anything.

I checked the rubber accordion wire cover between the door and body and all of the wires are good. What is my next step? Is the motor just dead?

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Temp gauge requires the SI board to function. You need one.

The window motor could be dead. I would start by testing for power at the motor while pressing the switch. If you have power at the motor but no movement, its either jammed or the motor died.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
      Temp gauge requires the SI board to function. You need one.
      Alright! Thanks for the info! I'm assuming I need to order the one for my cluster and not for my car? The cluster is a 1989 VDO. Tips for picking out the right one? I was planning on getting one of those for my car eventually, it just kind of sucks that it had to be now.

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
      The window motor could be dead. I would start by testing for power at the motor while pressing the switch. If you have power at the motor but no movement, its either jammed or the motor died.
      Damn. I was afraid you would tell me to take the door apart... That was going to be my next step if I wasn't so lazy when I was trying to troubleshoot it. I was praying someone else would have a troubleshooting tip that wouldn't involve me removing the door panel. Still though, thanks for the info again!

R3v is such a nice place :)

Comment

Oh. I have heard of people using a Motometer board in a VDO cluter. See: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...rument-Cluster

Know anything about this? Because I have a Motometer cluster laying around with what looks like a pretty new SI board. I tried putting it into the VDO cluster already but I don't believe it will fit without modification.

Comment

As long as the Si board is from the same generation of cluster (1986-up) then it will work. Basically, if it physically fits, its compatible. Brand does not matter.
          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Turns out I'm having these same issues with my car. I took the door panel off and found a piece of wood holding the window up Now I just need to figure out the damn temp gauge...

Comment

I have a spare post 86 SI board for sale. PM me if interested.

Comment

Turns out I'm having these same issues with my car. I took the door panel off and found a piece of wood holding the window up Now I just need to figure out the damn temp gauge.....
                Top Ten classified website

Comment

My rear driver window isn't working either, lights up the switches and all, found out that the actual window motor itself is the same as the front, not all the brackets that hold the window but just the motor. pulled a motor from my buddy's parts car and plugged it in, and it didn't work either. help! Please!

Comment

pulled a motor from my buddy's parts car and plugged it in, and it didn't work either. help! Please!
                    Are you getting power at the motor when you push the switches? I haven't gotten around to fixing my windows yet because I found a bunch of leaks in my trunk. I have seen some posts on here about how the wires for some of the windows get worn out and break at the point where they leave the door and enter the body of the car. I would check those two things first.

Comment

Working...
                    X