Multiple issues... not fuse 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple issues... not fuse 21

I have multiple electrical problems in my '84 eta. No speedo, no economy gauge, brake light in dash flickers, no OBC, no dome light, no trunk light, and no radio memory. The thread linked below indicates fuse 21, but my tach works and the speedo and econo gauge worked until a couple months ago. The rest of the items haven't worked in years. Fuse 21 is not blown.

I put in a new dome light assembly and bulb, no luck. I check voltage at wiring for the dome and trunk lights. I get nothing when off, when door/truck are open I get 0.8 volts on average.

Also, the OBC does not work. 13 button. It's not on at all... not a lighting issue. I'll admit I haven't checked power for it yet, but I wonder if it's related to the dome/trunk light as well as no 12v constant for radio.

I have a feeling gauge issue might be solder joints. Radio memory may be related to radio not having power when key is off.

So, with all that, any ideas?
    90 325i DD/Track
    03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
    It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Could be a bad connection somewhere. My cluster used to light up off and on, then I took it out and plugged everything back in and that solved the problem.

Comment

Don't just, just replace fuse 10, 12, and 21. Old fuses can oxidize causing intermittent connection, also micro cracks in the fuses can also cause intermittent operation.

Your MPG gauge not working is most likely dead SI board batteries, which can also affect your OBC.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Not sure if this means anything... the MPG gauge worked until the speedo stopped. Now the MPG gauge always reads 0 unless i'm engine breaking then it goes all the way to the high side stop.

I plan on taking the cluster out and reflowing the solder joints behind the temp gauge.

I already replaced fuse 10. I will also replace 12 and 21, they are older "open" fuses.
        90 325i DD/Track
        03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
        It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Working...
        X