Central locking issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central locking issues

I have done a lot of work on people's 30s, 36s and 46s. I have a 30 that is making me crazy. It is an 89 325 sedan. A problem had been that the central locking was not functioning. This poor car had ALL sorts of crap installed (stereo, CD, anti-theft, etc.) that I removed. All the wiring was cleaned up, and I got everything working EXCEPT the central locking. Found a minor wiring issue, corrected it, and all was good ..... for a few months. Now, the drivers door is stuck UNlocked (thankfully) while the others are jammed locked. I can not open the three locked doors from the inside with either the slide button are the lever. The CLCU is getting power. As of now, I have not located another CLCU to test with. Haven't found corrosion. My plan is to re-open the CLCU (already had it apart to see if something was amiss) and inspect the vertical whateveritis that people talk about failing and needing repair.

Any thoughts?

Check the door jamb pins. It is also possible to have a bad actuator as well. You just have to troubleshoot.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Certainly have been troubleshooting. Again -- all WERE working and a few days ago ALL except the driver's door jammed shut.

Comment

If you need a new central locking module, I have one in excellent condition, only $500!

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          If you need a new central locking module, I have one in excellent condition, only $500!
          As generous as THAT offer is, (hope you won't be offended ...... much) I will have to pass.

Comment

It sounds like the double-lock has been engaged. I'm guessing the driver's door actuator and/or cylinder is toast, has double-locked the other doors and (luckily) can't lock itself. Will the passenger side front door unlock with the key? How about from the trunk? The passenger can't disengage the double lock, but the trunk can IIRC

Try replacing the driver's side actuator with a known good one. It's possible the drivers lock cylinder needs replacing too.

This is a pretty good explainer of central locking:
            http://www.mesaperformance.com/faqs/centlock.html

It states that only the driver's door can unlock a double locked car, but I'm pretty sure I can unlock mine from my trunk.
            '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
            '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
            '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Update -- the owner found a CLCU just a BIT cleaner than the one so generously offered above. ;D

I pulled apart the existing unit to find the resistor had failed. I resoldered it and as soon as the unit was plugged in the doors unlocked themselves. However, while the driver's lock worked as designed, the other three doors could not be manually unlocked. So, the owner brought over the THIRTY DOLLAR one (ahem, cough, snort!!! ) and when it was plugged in everything worked properly. As Ed China would say --- "SORTED".

Thanks for the help :D and the spectacular offer !!!!!

Comment

Good deal. FWIW I totally recalled incorrectly, trunk does not open double locked doors, glad it's solved.
                '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
                '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
                '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Bob, I knew you would nail it. The module pictured came out of a very clean car, the owner had exactly the same issue.... Oddly enough, a good module fixed his right up too.

Good job!

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                  X