Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I replace the check panel with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I replace the check panel with?

'87 325es owner here, and my interior is all in all falling apart, one part of which being, the over head check panel. It's hanging on by about an inch of thread on the top edge. I plan to re-do the headliner in tan at some point, and I'm considering options on what to put in place of the check panel. I've seen some pictures of 30's w/ dome lights, which doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. Anyone swapped this out, or have any suggestions? Or am I better in the long run just leaving it?

I took a dome light from an e34 and modded it to fit...a little redundant being it was in my 'vert, but a fun project.
    Attached Files
    Suspension tips here...
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

I have my Parrot Bluetooth screen in mine.

sigpic
      January 2012 COTM

Comment

I was able to mod a e46 light assembly into mine.

Still working on getting the red ambient lights and center door light to work, but the two switched outside ones work.
        sigpic

Comment

Just realized how great this mod was on my 318i. I just put in e36 seats and now I don't have to deal with the light always being on either!

Anyways heres a pick of it in.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pb34 View Post
            I was able to mod a e46 light assembly into mine.

Still working on getting the red ambient lights and center door light to work, but the two switched outside ones work.
            Can you give details on how you accomplished the wiring?
            sigpic
            2007 X3
            1992 M Tech Cabrio
            1988 Cabrio - sold
            2001 X5 - sold
            1997 e36 328 - gave to son

Comment

Hahaha only if you promise not to hate me for it, I'm no professional, but it works for me.

So I DIY'd in a map light, but that wasn't enough for the black void that is an all black interior...

I followed this DIY on the mirror map light: http://zoso.no-ip.org/318i-maplight.html

TL; DR: You grab the constant 12 volt and ground from the rear passenger light and then run wires in the headliner to the front for the map light / dome light.

Then I just tested the dome light assembly with a 9 volt battery to figure out what combinations made the outside ones work.

Then spliced it into the wiring for the map light. Viola working lights.
              After that I also had to do a some filing to get it to fit into the old check panel square.

Its also worth mentioning that I brought the door switched ground forward while I was doing this incase I needed it later.

Thoughts:
              So the e46 seems to use switched positive rather than switched ground. In theory you should be able to just switch the ground and positives, but by no means am I an electrician so don't take my word for it. I blew like 6 fuses trying to get it all working. The real problem is there is only one ground for all of the switches.

For someone that wants to help finish it and get the ambient and center door light working:

I was thinking that you should be able to solder some wires to the "board" (the "wires" for the lights look like the lines on a computer board for electricity so thats what im calling them) cut and then change it to the e30 compatible setup.

Also if anyone is interested I can grab those dome lights the next time I go junkyard hunting. Cost plus a small finders fee? ;D
              Last edited by pb34; 02-25-2015, 10:00 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm putting mine in a vert so the dome light, so to speak, is right next to the check panel light, so I will use the wiring from the original light set up. What did you do about your check panel dash light flashing and not being able to cancel it on the check panel? I think it would drive me crazy if I had to just deal with the constant flashing light in the event that there was an indication that should show on the check panel. One other question that I have is do the map lights point correctly since the angle on the e46 is different than the angle of the check panel?
                sigpic
                2007 X3
                1992 M Tech Cabrio
                1988 Cabrio - sold
                2001 X5 - sold

Comment

Remove the bulb? I'm not sure you can but might be able to

Comment

That sounds like a better plan to get the constant 12v and ground.

So that might be a difference between the 325 and the 318.
                    The seat belt light was in the overhead check panel. So since it is entirely removed its gone. No flashing lights.

Haha, yeahhh That is one slight issue. I specifically put the dome light in that orientation because it minimized the light that hit your face. It is pretty much aimed at my chest so it isn't too much of an issue and the extra light is definitely worth it.

If you were to flip it around its almost pointed horizontally and it really gets you in the eyes.
                    sigpic

Comment

Bump, I want to see some more of this stuff!
                      sigpic

Comment

Can you show us some close up pic ?
                        btw, what's that steering wheel in your car ?

Originally posted by robrez View Post
                        I have my Parrot Bluetooth screen in mine.

Comment

Bump, I'm still waiting on someone to figure out the red lights for me. ;D
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pb34 View Post
                            Bump, I'm still waiting on someone to figure out the red lights for me. ;D
                            I got the ambient lights to work by running a wire from the light that illuminates the panel where your headlight switch is located. That way the ambient lights only come on at night or when you turn on your lights. You can use a nine volt battery to determine which wire is the hot for the ambient. On mine it was the red/purple wire. I will take some pics tonight.
                            sigpic
                            2007 X3
                            1992 M Tech Cabrio
                            1988 Cabrio - sold
                            2001 X5 - sold

Comment

Awesome! I was planning on doing one to my euro clock since that is already taken apart, but that works too!

Can't wait to see it!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X