Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perplexing power/electrical problem (long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perplexing power/electrical problem (long read)

Ok r3v yes I used the search feature... Yes I trouble shot and replaced part suggested .. So I'll go ahead and start from the beginning of about 2 months ago

So I originally had a starter die on me about early February.. Took it to a shop and got it fixed promptly..but the batter subsequently also bit the dust.. Which was also expected...considering it was over 4 years and we had expirienced away colder than normal temps I bit the bullet and replaced it.

So once I replaced both the starter and the battery (starter was done by a shop.) so one thing I instantly notice after the starter replacement is both my windows and fan for the vents work while the key is in the accessory position.. But once the car is started they both didn't work unless you jump the car off while moving
    (yes the car is a 5 speed) also peculiar is that both my main relay and fuel relay go out.....at the same time....this is where I begin to raise an eyebrow...but I figure since by relays had been in the car since 92 it was about that time..

So after all relays battery starter were replaced tonight as I was driving home my lights dim..the abs light comes on.. So I pull over to check to see if m battery was disconnected ..battery was fine so I try to start it up and I get get the dreaded click.

So I end up piping the clutch on a hill and take her home. My immediate thought was the alternator... But I remember reading how you can mess up the wiring to the starter and screw things up... And I have spent well over 400 bucks in the last month to try and remedy all issues...with no dice....As of now I have no idea wtf to do..any advice bc my electrical/wiring knowledge is little to none.
    sigpic"God made cars to be RWD and standard"

Well, one of the most important cables in the car is often overlooked. The main engine ground that runs between the oil pan to the frame rail. This is a heavy gauge cable that is responsible for grounding all engine electronics including the alternator and starter. Its probably oxidized and greasy as hell. We sell replacements at bavrest.com. These genuinely help and should be a must replace item for any e30 restoration. Be sure to clean both mounting ends in the car.

Aside from that, have your alternator checked. There are computers at local parts stores that can analyze the power wave forms from the alternator to determine if its bad or not. Many stores do this at no charge.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Sounds like maybe the wiring at the starter is wrong. There is a small gauge wire for the unloader relay that kills power to high draw items like the headlights, power windows, blower motor, etc. Sounds like it might be wired in a way that it is always on.

Comment

Working...
      X