Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead tach+OBC, other strange electric issues--not fuses, bad ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead tach+OBC, other strange electric issues--not fuses, bad ground?

I took my e30 out of storage last week, and noticed a couple of strange electric issues, which I need guidance in solving.

Here are the symptoms:
    1. tach+mpg gauge are completely dead.
    2. OBC display dead. The backlight works, but no info is displayed
    3. Radio resets every time I turn the car off--it asks for the unlock code but my station presets remain.
    4. Interior light works on one side, not the other (bulbs are good)

What I've done so far:
    Replace fuses 10,12,21,27 with new units (all fuses in the car are new)
    Disconnect radio and reinstall
    Change SI board with brand new unit (tested in another car, cluster is fully operational there)

I'm led to believe that there is a grounding problem somewhere, but I'm not sure where. I have seen many threads with dead tachs, obcs and radios, but they seem to be fixed with fuse replacement. The fact that my radio works fine but resets seems unusual in that context.

Everything worked fine in September (when I parked it). The battery (new last summer) did discharge a bit over the winter, it took a 20-minute 6-amp charge to get the car to start with no issues thereafter). Not sure if that's pertinent.

Any ideas?

check your reverse light cable

I have the same problem. Does your reverse lights work? check to see that the wire under your shifter isn't shorting against the body. I think it's also on fuse 21.
    1991 318is ....... 1985 320i
    1974 R90/6 ...... 2006 Prius
    sigpic
    318is Crack Pipe Edition: Thread

Comment

I had a problem like this. After I replaced all the fuses I found that one of the big black squares by the fuses was loose. After taking it out and pushing it down I noticed that I never had that problem again

Comment

Originally posted by MusikAffe57 View Post
        I have the same problem. Does your reverse lights work? check to see that the wire under your shifter isn't shorting against the body. I think it's also on fuse 21.
        Yes, reverse lights are fine.

Originally posted by efficient View Post
        I had a problem like this. After I replaced all the fuses I found that one of the big black squares by the fuses was loose. After taking it out and pushing it down I noticed that I never had that problem again
        One of the relays? Thanks, I'll look into that today.

Comment

Checked relays and changed their positions, no result.
          Also pulled radio and disconnected it, nothing either. Checked ground above clutch, it's fine.

I'm stumped :(

Comment

The ground wires are located above the brake pedal on a metal bracket with two 10mm nuts and a bunch of brown wires going to it. Take the nuts off and wire brush every brown wire ring lug, then reassemble.
            Owner - Bavarian Restoration
            BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
            www.BavRest.com
            My Feedback Thread
            Our Facebook!
            Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
              The ground wires are located above the brake pedal on a metal bracket with two 10mm nuts and a bunch of brown wires going to it. Take the nuts off and wire brush every brown wire ring lug, then reassemble.
              Done. No dice :(

Some worsening though: now I have neither interior light, and the radio won't accept the code at all (still asks on every start)

Comment

Bump, any more ideas?

Comment

Still no worky, tried replacing interior lights.

Comment

Bump to get an answer here, this is an odd issue

Comment

Radio started working again, but still asks for code on every startup.

Comment

In a bizarre and perplexing twist of events, everything started working perfectly tonight. Tach, obc and econometer all at 100%. I have no explanation.

Comment

And we're back to square one as of the next morning, everything is dead. Two variables I can think to isolate:

1. I parked outside and it rained pretty hard (no driving in rain though)
                          2. I left my dashcam plugged into the cig lighter for about 7 hours (usually unplug it when I park for more than 5 mins)

I doubt they have anything to do with the instruments, but hey...

Comment

Working...
                          X