Where to pull power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to pull power?

Might seem like a dumb question just wondering where you guys normally pull power from for an alarm and do you run an inline fuse?

My Daily Driven 318is

Inline fuse...yes, always. If the alarm manual has a recommended rating go with that, otherwise 5A is probably more than enough.

Where to pull power from? I do not have an alarm in mine so I can't really say, but most always-hot 12V sources should be fine. I would stay away from any of the 12V lines that power the Motronic or other engine management stuff, and avoid the ABS power since those are critical systems. If you are putting the control module in the cabin, maybe look at using the cigarette lighter 12V line.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Do you have the little accessory fuse panel that is attached to the outside of the fusebox? It has two leads- one constant (red) and one powered up only on ignition (green)
      555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
      '95 BMW e34 525i
      '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
      '92 Range Rover Classic
      '90 Range Rover Classic
      '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
      '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
      '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
      '67 Pontiac LeMans
      '24 Model T Depot Hack
      ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

If you tap into an already fused circuit, no need for an inline fuse. If you pull power straight off the battery, then you need an inline fuse.

NEVER replace a fuse with a higher amperage fuse. Fuses are there to protect the wiring from overheating and catching fire.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
          Inline fuse...yes, always. If the alarm manual has a recommended rating go with that, otherwise 5A is probably more than enough.

Where to pull power from? I do not have an alarm in mine so I can't really say, but most always-hot 12V sources should be fine. I would stay away from any of the 12V lines that power the Motronic or other engine management stuff, and avoid the ABS power since those are critical systems. If you are putting the control module in the cabin, maybe look at using the cigarette lighter 12V line.
          It has one prewired so I should be ok and I'm trying to find one under the driver side dash I couldn't get to the lighter without ripping out all the trim, thanks for the advice though!

Originally posted by Klug View Post
          Do you have the little accessory fuse panel that is attached to the outside of the fusebox? It has two leads- one constant (red) and one powered up only on ignition (green)
          I haven't seen it I'll double check, but I don't think I have one.

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
          If you tap into an already fused circuit, no need for an inline fuse. If you pull power straight off the battery, then you need an inline fuse.

NEVER replace a fuse with a higher amperage fuse. Fuses are there to protect the wiring from overheating and catching fire.
          Makes sense I'm just trying to figure out where to pull power from so I don't start splicing everything to test it, thanks for the help!

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Working...
          X