X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver side speakers inop: loud buzzing noise/passenger speakers work fine

Good Morning fellow R3V members,

I have a 1992 E30 318i convertible.

When I go to play the radio, whether it's AM, FM or tape, (it's the original OEM BMW head unit), the passenger side speakers emit audio/sound and work just fine.

However the driver side speakers (both front and rear) simply emit a loud buzzing sound that gets louder as the volume is turned up, and do not emit any type of audio whatsoever. (literally just buzzing). Normally I would think maybe blown speakers, although to my knowledge, symptoms of blown speakers produce a muffled sound, but the audio still emits.

I'm going to take off the paneling this weekend and check the connections.

But given my symptoms, I thought I would inquire to see if anyone had any ideas? - perfect audio/sound coming from passenger side speakers/no audio and a loud buzzing that increases as volume is turned up for the drivers side.

I'm not much of an audio expert and have always been better working on engines, so any input or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would suggest swopping the Left speakers with Right speakers. Do this for both the rears and front.
    If the problem is now on the passenger side, then the problem is the speakers. Should the no audio and a loud buzzing still be on the driver side after swopping the speakers, then the headunit is the problem.

HTH
    1990 325i
    2004 330i Individual 6-speed
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BavarianBeast View Post
      Good Morning fellow R3V members,

I have a 1992 E30 318i convertible.

When I go to play the radio, whether it's AM, FM or tape, (it's the original OEM BMW head unit), the passenger side speakers emit audio/sound and work just fine.

However the driver side speakers (both front and rear) simply emit a loud buzzing sound that gets louder as the volume is turned up, and do not emit any type of audio whatsoever. (literally just buzzing). Normally I would think maybe blown speakers, although to my knowledge, symptoms of blown speakers produce a muffled sound, but the audio still emits.

I'm going to take off the paneling this weekend and check the connections.

But given my symptoms, I thought I would inquire to see if anyone had any ideas? - perfect audio/sound coming from passenger side speakers/no audio and a loud buzzing that increases as volume is turned up for the drivers side.

I'm not much of an audio expert and have always been better working on engines, so any input or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
      Generally, if there is a noise that is variable, it's the deck. Noises that don't change are generally the amp...and yes, you do have an amp, its in the trunk, under the upper trim panel, on the firewall.

Best of luck!

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Let's not forget the fader switch
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
        X