Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e36 vert system tuning advice please: combination of HU and amp supplying speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36 vert system tuning advice please: combination of HU and amp supplying speakers

This is for my e36 convertible.

I just finished an entire audio install/upgrade. Went from all stock to all new aftermarket.

Hopefully what follows are some useful specs:

HU: KENWOOD KDC-BT958HD

Front Speakers (tweeters and woofers): Pioneer TS-D1320C
    --5.25" woofer, 1.125" tweeter, 180w max, 35w nominal

Front Speakers (mids): the mids from the BSW kit - unknown specs

Rear speakers: 5.25" Kenwood Kfc-P509Ps

Amp (front speakers): Blaupunkt EMA 255
    --55 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (80 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
    --selectable high-pass filter (80 Hz, 12 dB/octave)

Amp (subwoofer): Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
    --300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
    --variable low-pass filter (50-250 Hz, 12 dB/octave)

Subwoofer: Infinity Reference 860W
    --8", 250w rms, 1000w peak, single 4ohm impedence

The front woofers and tweeters are powered by the blaupunkt amp which is taking low voltage input via rca from the HU.
    The front mids are powered directly from the HU (this was the only way I could keep them) and wired up with audyne 47uf capacitors for filters.
    The rears are also powered directly from the HU.
    The subwoofer is powered by the fosgate amp which is taking low voltage input via rca from the HU.

I have read and successfully used Luke's guide for amplifier tuning on my e30 in which all speakers are amplifier powered. What I am not so sure about is the best way to go about tuning the system in the e36 given the layout is using both amplifiers and the HU to power speakers.

At the moment, I have tuned it as follows:

Front woofer/tweeter: find reference volume of HU (turn all gains down, HU volume up until distortion), at max reference volume turn up gains until distortion and back down a little (I also selected the HPF on the amp)

Front mids: started with the gain setting in the HU all the way down, turned it up until the sound was balanced with the woofer/tweeter and no distortion (no HPF selected - relying on the cap)

Rear woofer/tweeter: with HU at reference volume, turned up the gain in the HU until it sounded balanced with the front and was distortion free, I also turned on the HPF in the amp (don't remember what setting)

Subwoofer: tuned according to Luke's guide

So basically I am looking for feedback and advice on how to tune this system in the best way. Have I done it correctly already? There are way way more adjustments than I know how to use in the HU and I am afraid to mess with most of them because I don't understand them.

Here are a few pictures of the install

I know the box is smaller than ideal - it's what I could fit. Considering using some polyfill to help it sound a little better? Thoughts?

And finished

Also mounted the sub control knob here

Thanks guys!! Any help is appreciated!!!
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Crutchfield has a good article on a stereo system install and tune in a convertible. He doesn't go into detail about tuning but I get the feeling you have to blast it and move levels around until you come across the right setting. Then come back to it later so your ears don't get overly saturated

He ends the article with the suggestion that you pay a professional to tune the system...

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
      Crutchfield has a good article on a stereo system install and tune in a convertible. He doesn't go into detail about tuning but I get the feeling you have to blast it and move levels around until you come across the right setting. Then come back to it later so your ears don't get overly saturated

He ends the article with the suggestion that you pay a professional to tune the system...
      Yea, I've read that as well as luke's guide. I understand how to tune via that approach and I've done it that way successfully. I'm just looking for advice in this specific case since I'm powering a combination of speakers via an amp as well as the HU.

Also, I'd always rather DIY it and finish with mediocre results than pay someone to get it perfect because otherwise I'd never learn! :)
      Shadetree30

Comment

oh def. I just don't think you're going to be able to diy it without years of experience and I don't think anyone can tell you if your settings are okay without being there and hearing it. I would try to set it up so you can tweak it every day to search for the best sound

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          oh def. I just don't think you're going to be able to diy it without years of experience and I don't think anyone can tell you if your settings are okay without being there and hearing it. I would try to set it up so you can tweak it every day to search for the best sound
          I don't expect anyone to be able to tell me if the adjustments are set correctly or ideally - that much will be up to my own ears, knowledge and ability. I was more looking for advice as to whether or not my approach is appropriate given my hardware.

As in, should I use the filter settings on the head unit at all, does adjusting the gain on the HU affect the low voltage signal out etc.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
          Shadetree30

Comment

Subscribed. Working on an e36 'vert myself.
            Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Working...
            X