Doors on car are stuck locked, only have trunk access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doors on car are stuck locked, only have trunk access

As I said in the title, both doors on my coupe are locked and will not open, I have 2 keys, and an Ungo alarm/keyless entry system installed by the previous owner. I thought perhaps my battery was dead which was messing with the central locking, took it out and charged it and I still can't get in.

Does anyone have any way to fix this without breaking into the car? I have been reading online and it seems like I need to fix the central locking inside the drivers door, but I need to be in the car to do this and I can only access the trunk. Is there anything I can do in there to perhaps actuate the locking system and open the doors?

I have tried opening the doors with the battery disconnected, using the key fob to lock and unlock the doors, which just seems to arm and disarm my alarm and make the alarm LED inside the car flash. I also tried setting my alarm and opening my trunk, activating the alarm, then opening the door in hopes that it might change something, but it wouldn't work either.

It seems like I may have to break/remove a window to get in at this point... Once I figure this out I am disabling my central locking system because this is a huge pain in the ass, had no idea this could happen.

probably a dumb question, but can't you just use the key in the doors themselves to get in? I know when I had issues with the central lock I could at least still get in through the doors like normal? Is the alarm causing the locks to not open at all?

Comment

Originally posted by kid8 View Post
      probably a dumb question, but can't you just use the key in the doors themselves to get in? I know when I had issues with the central lock I could at least still get in through the doors like normal? Is the alarm causing the locks to not open at all?
      The key doesn't work in either of the doors, only the trunk. When I try to turn it, I can move the slot the key goes in from vertical to horizontal, but there when it is vertical, and I turn the key to the left just slightly, which is what would usually unlock the door electronically, nothing happens. I guess these cars have something called "double locking" where if you turn the key 90 degrees in the drivers door, so the slot is horizontal, it engages this feature.

It's meant as a theft deterrent, but it makes it so that the only way to open the car is to use the key in the drivers door. Even if you got in the car and pulled up on the little nub that locks and unlocks the door from inside, it wouldn't do anything according to what I've read. It's supposed to prevent people using a coat hanger or whatever to break in, anything other than the key won't work.

So basically now that has engaged, but it isn't working with the key either. So from my understanding currently the only way to get in is to break the window, climb though it into the car, take off the drivers door card, and disable the double-locking/central locking system.

I just don't want to spend $200 on a replacement window and cover my interior in broken glass. That's why I'm posting here but the more I read the more it seems like that's my only option. Most posts I've found about this issue people say to just fiddle with the key for like 20 minutes and eventually it will open.. I tried that and it really doesn't seem like it will. This is without a doubt one of the stupidest issues I've ever had with a car; locked out with 2 sets of keys...

Comment

^ try heating up your locks to room temp and spray lubricant in the key slots. The is a dead bolt feature and you have to turn the key the other way to undo it.

Try pulling on the door handle while turning the key to unlock

Try unlocking with the battery disconnected

Read this thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=306417

And then read this: http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/thr...-locked.47237/

Interesting to note, this may be a good time to replace your windshield gasket

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Use graphite powder. Had a door on friends car do that. Worked immediately

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post

Interesting to note, this may be a good time to replace your windshield gasket
            That's a great idea, save you from having broken glass and it probably needs replaced anyway.

Comment

So I got in the car by removing the ski sock and reaching an arm through, unscrewing the latch in the butterfly window and climbing in through there. Now I have access to the car, I can start it and roll down the windows and drive it, but I still can't open the doors.

I removed the front left speaker and found the central locking control module, there is apparently an internal fuse within the CLCU that is soldered and desolders itself in case of a problem. It was desoldered, so I resoldered it on.

Now when I put the key in the drivers door and turn it 90 degrees from vertical to where it would engage the double lock, inside the door there is a very pronounced sound of the lock motor/double lock motor engaging. When you turn the key back to vertical there is no sound of it disengaging, but when turned horizontal it will make the sound again.

This leads me to believe that the double lock is stuck engaged, and then thinks it has become disengaged by virtue of me turning the key to vertical, and when I turn it back to horizontal it trys to reengage even though it already is activated.

Not sure if this is the problem, or how that would affect both the driver and passenger door at the same time, but I don't have any other good theories on what is wrong at this time, could use some more advice if anyone has it.

Comment

^ both lock solenoids in my friend's e34's rear doors froze shut which meant you couldn't open the doors. I had to take out the rear seat to get the door cards off so I could remove the lock actuators. After that it was fine.

I would just remove your front seats so you can take off your door cards and then get at your locking stuff from there

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

The door locks on my vert worked fine, until one day something happened which caused the actuator to jam and bent the connecting rod and prevented the door from unlocking.

You can read up on my ordeal and how I fixed it here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323506

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Working...
                  X