Trunk light sparking? Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk light sparking? Need help

So today I was determined to fix (put a bulb in and test it) my trunk light housing. It always sat weird in the hole. Wasn't flush or straight. I got it out only to realize it was wrapped on the wire end in electric tape. I put a bulb in and it worked. So I went to put it back into the hole and the Damn thing started to spark when it made contact with the trunk lid. I could not get the piece in without sparks flying. I pulled the wiring off and have it hanging free awaiting more info on what's going on. Does anyone have a trick to putting the piece back in without sparks and fuses blowing?
    sigpic

Disconnect your battery or at least remove appropriate fuses before doing any electrical work
    sigpic
    1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

I agree Fsnow and know this is a goofy very dumb thread, but in all my time I have never had to remove fuses or disconnect a battery to replace a bulb. Just seems like an easier way is possible. But I will follow your guidance and press forward. Thanks for the keep it simple stupid reminder, I needed that.
      sigpic

Comment

Well if u have enough hands (or tape?) you can depress the switch for the light so it doesnt get power while you change the bulb. It's just a good habit to disconnect power , can save a lot of trouble some times. There is a lot of exposed metal that is live on that piece so you are bound to short it out.
        sigpic
        1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

It sounds like the bulb holder is broken, exposing one of the leads to metal.. just grab another one

I installed a second one in my car and didn't have this problem. And if it's wrapped in electrical tape, it means someone has tried to fix this before and was too lazy to do it right

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
          X