Using Foglight switch wires for 12V Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Foglight switch wires for 12V Source

I've deleted my foglights, and I'm wanting to put George Graves' USB port where the foglight switch was. I'm thinking of using the wires that go to the foglight switch for 12V but given that it has a relay so that it only turns on when the headlights are on.

So, what can I do to get 12v power and ground from the foglight wires in the dash? Or, alternatively, is there a better wire near there that I can tap into?

Plenty of other wires to tap into in that area(don't want to tap the headlights in case of a short that can leave you in the dark) . But if I was doing this on my car I would run a line to the fuse box and use the fusebox addition that BMW added as an afterthought.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
      Plenty of other wires to tap into in that area(don't want to tap the headlights in case of a short that can leave you in the dark) . But if I was doing this on my car I would run a line to the fuse box and use the fusebox addition that BMW added as an afterthought.
      How would I go about doing that?

Comment

Yea, there's a little box next to the real fuse box you can add wires to(on some e30, maybe not all). It's a awesome idea by BMW giving a nod to the fact that people might install aftermarket radar dectors, car alarms and such. But my issue with it, is that 1/2 the time they are kinda corroded, and you'll have to fish a wire through the firewall, and that looks kinda hack-ish. (if that's a word)

Your radio has both a decent ground and power right there. So I would do that. The unit I sell, the wires are made to tapping into the radio harness - and I give plenty of length for it. You'll need to extend them if you want to mount the USB port all the way to the fog light location. Alternatively, you could tap into wires in the steering column, but I wouldn't recommend it.

PM me if you have any questions - I'm glad to help.
        Last edited by george graves; 05-28-2016, 01:48 AM.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
        X