Is something wrong with my relays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is something wrong with my relays?

Bought a 88 vert. No power windows and a slow drain on battery. Iv owned a 87 and 85 e30 and all had relays my 88 has what looks like jumpers? The wiring on the starter looks shoddy so I'll be looking into that and hoping it fixes my power window problem.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Yes that's crazy. All you have to do is look at it and you answered your question. See all the open slots? Those are supposed to go to something. Look around the rest of the car and see if you can spot anything else weird

buy a multimeter and learn to trace for electrical drains. If you have an aftermarket stereo, remove it and figure out how to install it without draining the battery.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

pull those jumper wires and replace them with real relays.

wow. some people's hack jobs.. gotta love PO's!

I'd bet the windows not working is due to the starter wiring - there's an "unloader relay" that disconnects the ground to the windows when you crank the engine. If it's not hooked up right, the unloader relay never trips and your windows won't work.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
        Yes that's crazy. All you have to do is look at it and you answered your question. See all the open slots? Those are supposed to go to something. Look around the rest of the car and see if you can spot anything else weird

buy a multimeter and learn to trace for electrical drains. If you have an aftermarket stereo, remove it and figure out how to install it without draining the battery.
        Yes. They had a power wire from the battery going through the firewall straight to the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          pull those jumper wires and replace them with real relays.

wow. some people's hack jobs.. gotta love PO's!

I'd bet the windows not working is due to the starter wiring - there's an "unloader relay" that disconnects the ground to the windows when you crank the engine. If it's not hooked up right, the unloader relay never trips and your windows won't work.
          You wouldn't happen to have or know the colour wire to the k5 relay under the fuse panel. This was a total mess. I'm hoping to get it squared away and back to oem wiring. They also cut into the c114 wires (brown) I have no idea what that goes to. Then another wire in red going towards the front of the car. I assume for the aux fan. That wire I'm missing from the k5 relay is I'm hoping going to fix my window problem.

Comment

Working...
          X