Do speakers wear down/out overtime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do speakers wear down/out overtime?

Odd question I know. But, do speakers wear down over time? Like a light bulb can get dimmer over time and start to wear down but will still work. Is that the case with car speakers or do they have the same performance over their entire life and only become bad if they blow?

I am no expert, but in thinking it through a speaker is a mechanical object, so yes. I am sure that they do. I've actually pulled old speakers from cars that had no foam surround left. The crazy temperature and humidity differentials in an automotive environment are to blame for that I'm sure.

I'd bet that voice coils wear out over time as well. Why do you ask?

Comment

yes, they do.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

All of the premium sound speakers are still available new from BMW. That is what got me thinking. Would brand new OEM premium sound speakers sound a lot better than 30 year old premium sound speakers?

Would never consider aftermarket, fyi.

Comment

Luke raves about the E34 premium speakers. I know the magnets are larger and the tweeters are silk dome. If I were getting factory speakers it would be those.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            Luke raves about the E34 premium speakers. I know the magnets are larger and the tweeters are silk dome. If I were getting factory speakers it would be those.
            But, the E34 speakers have no crossovers, thats why we developed the PCNs

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by IS300E30 View Post
              All of the premium sound speakers are still available new from BMW. That is what got me thinking. Would brand new OEM premium sound speakers sound a lot better than 30 year old premium sound speakers?

Would never consider aftermarket, fyi.
              So, I have personally used both new and used E30 and E34 speakers in the same car, using the same amp, same cables, same music, etc.

I cannot tell a difference at all, in any way. I say save your money, but make sure to get midbass drivers that aren't sunbleached.

Only thing I could say, the new ones are made in Hungary, while the originals were made in W. Germany. I seriously could not hear any difference at all, so Im happy using $12 worth of junkyard speakers. it's your money, it's your car, I say do whatever makes you happy.

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

^ nice

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

You could re-cone them if you want, but hardly worth it.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Since it's kinda related, I've installed new E34 speakers into E30 rear premium housings and they appeared to be noticeably lacking in bass compared the the E30 premium speakers. I swapped one set to the other in the same car playing the same few songs. YMMV, but I thought I'd share my experience. The E30 speakers were not new. Also, if I remember correctly the E34 speakers have a smaller magnet which I think affects that? Outside my wheelhouse.
                    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                    X