Tweeter Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tweeter Upgrade

Hello! So I have the premium door/window tweeters in my 89 325ix but one stopped working and the other started rattling like crazy. I'm looking into replacing them and the kicker speakers with a fancy component speaker system but I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get the old tweeters out of the window tim/molding piece?

I tried for about a minute this past weekend and was afraid I might break the plastic so I stopped until I could get some better advice from you lovely people. I'd love to be able to reuse the stock trim piece if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

I used a hot knife for this with good results. They're $15-20 but it made pretty quick work of cutting through the glue around the tweeter.

Something like this:

Comment

thanks! yeah I was imagining using a soldering iron or something to melt the glue but this looks way better. I'll have to look into getting one.

Comment

It's actually easier than most think. First, don't pry on the tweeter itself but pry on the entire circular housing that surrounds the tweeter with a small flathead. The entire housing will pop off cleanly just take your time.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Ya, pry it out, I use a 1/4 flat blade, tuck it as deep as you can and twist just until you hear the littlest crack, then go to the other side and pry there, it will likely pop out.

I've probably done seriously close to 300 E30s and I've only broken 1 ever, so be brave but gentle, its no big deal

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Found it on my site...forgot, sorry. It's in here: http://www.germanaudiospecialties.co...assic-pcn.html

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

This is all so helpful!! Thank you so much! I'll report back when I've given this a go - hopefully I won't be the 1 in 300 that breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by deeclue View Post
                This is all so helpful!! Thank you so much! I'll report back when I've given this a go - hopefully I won't be the 1 in 300 that breaks.
                if you are, go buy a lottery ticket

Closing SOON!

Comment

i guess it broke.......

Comment

haha no I haven't gotten around to pulling it out of the car and trying again - you know how life has a way of getting in the way.

Comment

Working...
                    X