Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 alternator identification

Hi,

I recently bought an e30 and came to the conclusion the alternator was starting to fail. The dash lights are dim, and the lights pulse. a bit of reading and I concluded the cheapest route would be a voltage regulator replacement.

The regulator is en route and I pulled the air box to get a head start. To my dismay, this alternator doesn't appear to have a user replaceable voltage regulator. From the top it looks visually the same, but from the rear it doesn't match any photos I've seen.

Can anyone identify this alternator? I guess I'll just have to replace the entire unit?

I just realized I should probably check behind that cover...

Comment

That's the silly Valeo alternator, $150 for an OEM regulator, I was able to find a questionable new replacement on ebay for $23... 4 months already and it's still working.
      Info from the eBay ad : REGULATORS / BRUSH HOLDER Assy. / TRANSPO #M506 MOTOROLA /VALEO 9RC ALTERNATORS
      Last edited by uturn; 01-08-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Derp.

I figured as much after I got the rear cover loose and looked in. Definitely not like any of the ones I've come across on the forum or google images.

Some quick google, produce some possible pulley differences. Did you have a valeo alternator? I'm assuming you switched to a bosch unit. Did you re-use the pulley successfully?

Comment

Working...
        X