Sub Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub Question

This isn't car related, but it is audio related.

I've got an Onkyo 230W powered 10" sub in a ~10x14x18 box (factory enclosure). My problem is when loud bass plays, the wind coming out of the port makes noise. I had the idea of putting something in the port (right now, I just stuffed a feather duster in there lol), which worked, it let some air out the port, but softened it as to not make noise.

My question is, how will this affect the sound of the sub? If it won't hurt it, what do you guys suggest I put in it instead of the feather duster?

Thanks.

Butt plug?

The noise you are dealing with is actually just from shitty design. This is why I use HUGE ports, which are generally stupid long.

If you wanna fix it, double your port area and double your port length. So basically, if the port is a single 3" port, 9" long, do 2) 3" ports, 18" long.

That right there is why the sub in my car is 2.5 cu.ft, with 20 4" ports that are 27" long. It is like a fucking habitrail in my box!

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Just to update, when I first posted this thread, the sub was hooked up to a computer with a sub-output that I believe was not pre-amp. I now have the sub hooked up to my new receiver pre-amp output and it sounds AWESOME. There is still a little "wind" noise at higher bass levels with the other speakers turned down, but at normal volume, you can't hear anything but nice, clean bass.

Comment

haha i thought this had to do with home audio when i saw the onkyo title. chances are whatever enclosure it is in was made to spec for that driver.

Comment

Working...
        X