My 318i audio lot of questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 318i audio lot of questions.

Okay 91' 318i stock head unit, aftermarket front and rear speakers. I'm upgrading and need some pointers

1 Does the stock head unit have a RCA output so i can run a amp in the trunk?

2 Where is the stock amp in the car?

3 Are there any writeups on wireing an aftermarket head unut?

4 Does anyone make sub enclousures the fit in the back of the trunk and fit flush in there, leaving that clean look?

cheers, I'm sure more question will arrise.

1. No. There are ways around this however. Luke should chime in on this.

2. In the trunk near the antenna on the driver side inside fender if you have it. Only cars that came with premium sound had them. If you have tweeter pods next to your mirrors, you have premium sound.

3. Search. This topic has been covered before. Basically you want to run all new wires and get rid of all the old wiring.

4. Your best bet is to make your own enclosure. Yes, you can buy a box that will fit, but it won't be designed for your sub and your car and will end up sounding not as good as it could. It's not hard to make an enclosure. Basic wood working skills and a few tools. I'm sure someone would be willing to build you one for a small fee however if you really don't want to do it yourself.

Comment

cool thanks I pulled the head out what a mess, I dont have premium sound so I dont have to mess with a stock amp. I guess i'll put in an aftermarket head unit.
      Where should I cut the wires are start rewiring from?

Comment

If you look behind your left front speaker, you will fins a 4 connector Molex plug. You will see 2 yellow wires (with colored stripes) and 2 blue (also with stripes).
        Those are the rear speaker wires. Run 3 wires to the left (1 for the L/F speaker, 2 for the rear) and 1 to the right front.

Connect to the rears there, brown stripes are negative.

No factory deck (except a few Kia) ever came with RCA's, but there are other ways to feed signal into an amp. Go buy the cheap Sony from WalMart if you are desperate for cash...it is about $100, and has a sub level control.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          If you look behind your left front speaker, you will fins a 4 connector Molex plug. You will see 2 yellow wires (with colored stripes) and 2 blue (also with stripes).
          Those are the rear speaker wires. Run 3 wires to the left (1 for the L/F speaker, 2 for the rear) and 1 to the right front.

Connect to the rears there, brown stripes are negative.

Luke
          Does that go for the premium sterio too?
          -Chris

Comment

to the best of my memory, all e30s.

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
            X