DVC sub wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVC sub wiring

I found a JL 10w3 for sale cheap locally, and I'm wondering how I could wire it up since its DVC with dual 4ohm VCs. Is there a way that I can run a single 4ohm channel to the sub? or will I need to do something else?
    BEERTECH

AFAIK, no.

My Alpine Type-R is a dual voice coil sub also, and there was no wiring descriptions in the manual that would give it 4 ohms. I'm pretty sure the only way to get 4 ohms is to have two dual 4 ohm coil subs. I just run mine at 2 ohms.

No problems so far...
    '91 318is
    sigpic

Comment

I don't think you can run just one voice coil. Doesn't make sense to me, they would collide.

Brew, how do you like the Type-R? What size? I'm VERY likely going to grab one in the near future to replace my PG.

Comment

Its a 10".
        I like the sub a lot. It is clean even at very loud volumes, and seems to be very well made.
        I got mine off of ebay pretty cheap. IIRC, it was about 120 bux brand new in the original packaging.
        '91 318is
        sigpic

Comment

Running a DVC sub on one VC voids the warrenty.

Sold it.

Comment

You can only wire the two VCs in parallel or series, which would yield a 2 ohm and 8 ohm load, respectively. If your amp can handle it, run it 2 ohms. But remember that if you bridge your amp you're effectively cutting the resistance in half again and it would be a 1 ohm load. If you bridge a 2-channel amp to an 8-ohm speaker (a DVC wired in series) it will yield a 4 ohm load.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

But remember that if you bridge your amp you're effectively cutting the resistance in half again and it would be a 1 ohm load.
              Haha, I did that on my old Infinity Beta sub and Orion Cobalt amp. Melted the fuse to the fuse holder. Eventually blew the whole rubber surround right off the cone. The amp still worked fine with a jumper wire in the fuse holder.
              -Brandon
              '86 325es S50
              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
              S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

so i'd need two channels for the sub (a 4 channel amp bridged in my case I guess)
                BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                  so i'd need two channels for the sub (a 4 channel amp bridged in my case I guess)
                  No, only one channel. You cant run the voice coils in stereo.

Comment

well i guess i shouldnt get the sub since i'm not going to shell out the cash for some huge expensive sub amp. oh well.
                    BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                      well i guess i shouldnt get the sub since i'm not going to shell out the cash for some huge expensive sub amp. oh well.
                      You can bridge two channels of the 4 to the sub and use the other two for mids.

Comment

what about dual 2 ohm?
                        BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                          what about dual 2 ohm?
                          Dual 2 ohm voice coils? You could either wire it to produce a 1 or 4 ohm load.

Comment

that would be ideal for my purpuses then i guess
                            BEERTECH

Comment

get a dual 2, i'm trading in my dual 4 10w3v2 this week for a dual 2 to run at 4 ohms off of a bridged amp.
                              you can also get a monoblock for the dual 4 ohm, that should be stable at 2 ohms

Comment

Working...
                              X