Stock Head Unit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Head Unit question

I have the stock tape deck with the IR adjuster and the pyramid switch on it.

I think my antenna is loose somewhere because I have problems with it losing signal at times - but that is not the real reason for this thread.

Today, while listening to one of my old De La Soul tapes (yeah, I'm old, and I still have a lot of cassettes), it started making this horrific feedback like squeal. Tried popping the tape out to see if it was just the cass. player, and t kept making it on the radio as well.

Shut it off. About an hour later, popped the tape back in, it was fine.

Any ideas?

I have no plan to put in an aftermarket head unit. Not worth it in this car, unless I can do it for cheap.
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

You need to demand a refund from the criminal that sold it to you.

lol

All 8 bux!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Dave, sounds like your amplifier is dying.

That squeal should have been loud, and uncontrollable, volumewise.

It is caused by a transistor freaking out...called "oscillation" and is a death knell.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Dave, sounds like your amplifier is dying.

That squeal should have been loud, and uncontrollable, volumewise.

It is caused by a transistor freaking out...called "oscillation" and is a death knell.

Luke
        Thanks. I guess I'll just keep using it until it dies. Its now parked for a while, so I am not worried about it.
        Current Cars
        2014 M235i
        2009 R56 Cooper S
        1998 M3
        1997 M3

Comment

Just make sure it wasnt that annoying ass beep/squeal it makes when it needs to be cleaned. Probably isnt but it confused the fuck out of me at first when I was running the stock deck.
          Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by FifeDog236 View Post
            Just make sure it wasnt that annoying ass beep/squeal it makes when it needs to be cleaned. Probably isnt but it confused the fuck out of me at first when I was running the stock deck.
            Never knew it did that. I'll try running a cleaner through it. Thanks.
            Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

Dave, if you want a pioneer cd player on t3h cheap let me know and I can get ya one.

Will
              RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
              Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
              DaveCN = Old Man
              My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
              If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

The "tape clean squeal" is nothing like what I am describing...it is basically just a reminder. The squeal I am talking about is LOUD and will not go away unless you shut it off.

GL!
                Luke

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Dave if it is the stock amp... mine will be coming out soon I think. Need to upgrade to a JL300/4 for my speakers soon. I just installed a new HU and I may be upgrading the JL 8w-7 to a 10w-7 and a JL500/1 amp for that. You gotta hear it to believe it! Come on by!

Comment

Working...
                  X