whaa? How does this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whaa? How does this work?

I am trying to replace my stock headunit with a newer Sony unit from my parts car. I have the stock premium Bose system in my car and am trying to salvage as much wiring as possible. What do I need to keep for the new HU? I am running three alpine amps that I have lying around.

WTF is this thing?

What wires do I need to keep?
    Last edited by McCoolidge; 03-06-2007, 06:46 PM.

thats your factory amp. your better off running all new speaker wires and gettin rid of that thing.

edit: after remembering when i did a stereo once that could also be for turnsignals or somethin like that. try unplugging it and seeing if your turnsignals still work. but i think thats the factory amp...

kyle
    1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
    DILLIGAF

Comment

the thing in the picture that he is holding is the check panel thingy, for brake lights and such....

the connector that he is holding is for the factory amp, just match up the colors that are at the speakers with the colors in that plug

Comment

Isn't the factory crossover located inside the amp? If I were to hook it up directly wouldn't I destroy the stock speakers?

Comment

the black box runs all of the lights on the rear of the car.. you can't take it out :p
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Can I use the wires on the audio plug shown to run my speakers? like splice and strip to hook up to the amp?

Comment

you can, but you are way better off just rewiring the whole thing.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

all i have to say is, BOSE????

well that and just run all new speaker wires
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

OK, so are you planning on running the amps you mentioned or not? If so, catch the speaker wires right from that plug...if that is the late model iX.

The crossovers on E30's are actually part of the midrange speakers...goofy as hell, but they do work.

You will want to run 3 sets of RCAs and a remote wire.

You might get clearer sound from wire that is not 20 years old, but that does mean a complete rewire...but you already have to take things apart to do the RCAs.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Yeah, I am going to use the alpine amps, this is on the '86 (long story, decided its better off to keep it) So I can just take the wires from that plug? if so, that would help alot.

Comment

If it is an early car, dont even bother. Just run new wires.

Early cars have a 2 channel amp running to the fader, then splitting to the 4 speakers.

Run all new wire.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                      X