Non-E30 Audio Question (E36 BMW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-E30 Audio Question (E36 BMW)

Can you install a headunit into an e36 without rewiring the whole car like you have to do in an E30?

I'd like to get my sister a CD player for her car, and want to be able to plug & play, even if it just means getting an install adapter/kit.

TIA,
    Chris
    Below the radar...

pity reply...

As for your question, I had no problem wiring an Alpine 7894 into the HK system on my 96 M3. Just wired it up to the aftermarket harness and plugged it right in. Sounded great!
    Originally posted by Simon S
    When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

+1. just need a harness adapter. getting the "cage" to lock in is a pain in the ass. wait, i think it needs a antenna adapter also.

Comment

Chris, there are 2 different wiring harnesses for E36. Early (pre '96, IIRC) uses the same antenna as a normal car, later cars use a "Euro" antenna adapter.

I have only seen one E36 without an amp, that was a '93 318.

The stock E36 amplifier/speaker combo is an amazingly good sounding setup with the exception of bass, of which it has none. I HIGHLY recommend choosing a deck with high-pass filters so it is easier to subwoof.

Quick easy job for a deck install in an E36.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Cool, thank you guys.
          Sister is getting the headunit only. No other items will go in her car, she's dangerous enough without further distractions... ;)

The car is a base M44'd 318i 4 door... so it may not have an amp in the stereo either. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks,
          -C
          Below the radar...

Comment

Yeah I dropped a CD43 into my E36. It was one of the few jobs I've done to my car that wasn't complicated by rust.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
              Yeah I dropped a CD43 into my E36. It was one of the few jobs I've done to my car that wasn't complicated by rust.
              I LOL'd

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                You know there is rust on the steel assembly that holds the dash together right? I've seen it on every e36 that's been stripped for race prep!

OH NOES... ALL UR RUZT BELONGS TO US
                Below the radar...

Comment

Ya, stuff on the interior still gets frozen with light corrosion. I had to replace a lock cylinder and ignition switch bracket on the car, and the breakoff torx screws were stuck SOLID.

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                  X