HU that looks old/period-correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HU that looks old/period-correct?

I am in need of a single CD HU for my E30 that is equipped with Premium Sound.

Have you guys found one that is even close to period-correct looking, easy to source and not $1500? A volue knob rather and up & down buttons is a must!

I see lots of talk about the BMW CD43 but I don't have time to search the earth for a used one....maybe someone has one for sale ;)

Any help would be appreciated.

Dream on, Redracer.

What I find odd id how 99% of my customers say the same thing..."I would like a simple deck that has the features I want, but is not gaudy, a nice clean look"...this applies to guys in Hondas as well as Ford, GM, whatever...but mostly BMW/Audi guys.

Bummer Japan is not listening.

Nakamichi CD300/400 is your best chance.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I have a JVC Arsenal HD unit that I don't think looks too out of place. It's glossy black rather than textured, but it's not too gaudily designed. I'll try to get a pic of it installed tomorrow.

This is what the HU looks like:

Sound quality is wonderful, and the red and blue lighting is quite subdued (unlike a lot of modern head units).
      Last edited by Sam Cogley; 09-20-2008, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Black with white lettering and adjustable backlight colors to match the BMW amber.

The pic of the HU installed in my car is of low quality, but I've provided links to other sites that have better pics of the HU

Only issue is that it does not sit flush with the dash, but it's Black and White and looks better then most HU's

Fry's still has it on sale as of 9/22/08
        sigpic
        1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
        Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
        Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

I like the Alpine 9835 & the 9887 - not just for real BE Pro, but the switchable illumination lets you find a custom shade something just darker than the "amber" preset, & just a tad lighter than the "red" preset.

You can get all the buttons backlit correct, but the display will always stay that normal green shade - but looks good in my head.

Fully reading the instruction manual will show you how to make it all work.

Now would be where Luke tears me a new one for even saying "Alpine" - but I've always liked their stuff & the illumination feature is a huge selling point by me.

It's not on all models, so carefully research. It's a feature they seem to be phasing out - I guess crazy flashy silver/neon blue is what is trendy, Like a Montana Green GTI in 1990.

I heard Eclipse is trying to restrain themselves, hopefully they will return to 55430-era style. I'd kill for a restrained looking Eclipse HU.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Originally posted by LINUS View Post
            I like the Alpine 9835 & the 9887 - not just for real BE Pro, but the switchable illumination lets you find a custom shade something just darker than the "amber" preset, & just a tad lighter than the "red" preset.

You can get all the buttons backlit correct, but the display will always stay that normal green shade - but looks good in my head.

Fully reading the instruction manual will show you how to make it all work.

Now would be where Luke tears me a new one for even saying "Alpine" - but I've always liked their stuff & the illumination feature is a huge selling point by me.

It's not on all models, so carefully research. It's a feature they seem to be phasing out - I guess crazy flashy silver/neon blue is what is trendy, Like a Montana Green GTI in 1990.

I heard Eclipse is trying to restrain themselves, hopefully they will return to 55430-era style. I'd kill for a restrained looking Eclipse HU.
            i have the alpine 9887. you can change the colors to something sort of close to the red/amber color, although during the day it looks pink. the color in the display is white on black, with 2 or 3 lines of text. very nice looking, not cheesy.
            http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Period correct? One word: Blaupunkt.
              - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
              E36 325i sedan
              E30 325i sedan
              Volvo 945T

Comment

Originally posted by LINUS View Post
                hopefully they will return to 55430-era style. I'd kill for a restrained looking Eclipse HU.
                i hear ya, i have a old cd8051.

seconded for Nakamichi or a business cd33.

Comment

One of these days I will find a way to put a later model transport in my old Denon.

You guys can all bite me then.

In the meantime, I want a Z1.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

^ A friend of mine has one. Definitely cool, but has problems with reading a lot of discs and has been rebuilt once already. 99.9% of people would have done better to spend the $2500 elsewhere, including my friend, IMO.

Oh and to the OP, I second the Blaupunkt.
                    Originally posted by chileelky
                    amaze about the enthusiasm e30 generate

Comment

Originally posted by wagonizzle View Post
                      ^ A friend of mine has one. Definitely cool, but has problems with reading a lot of discs and has been rebuilt once already. 99.9% of people would have done better to spend the $2500 elsewhere, including my friend, IMO.

Oh and to the OP, I second the Blaupunkt.
                      Oh yeah, I know that they are crap, but they also have more bragging rights than having 3 balls.

Closing SOON!

Comment

I hate how all CD players look like they came off some alien ship or made a toy factory in mexico. Now if only I hadn't hooked my stock radio up wrong after my dash swap :(

How come people like the BMW CD43 unit so much (which I noticed is a Blaupunkt)? Aren't there a bunch of BMW cd players out there? Here's one: click me $325 buy-it-now 3 available

My uncle has some original brand new in box CD player from the 80's. He told me the thing was a couple grand or something back in the day. I should buy it from him and use it. He always had the cool stuff before he got married. He's about 10 years younger than my dad. He had an RZ500 sportbike too, which is a 2stroke crotch rocket (search RZ350 or RZ500, I think they're really cool).
                        Last edited by Nicademus; 09-23-2008, 12:25 AM.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                        ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          Oh yeah, I know that they are crap, but they also have more bragging rights than having 3 balls.
                          Spoken like a true professional.

Andy
                          -Andy

Comment

CD43s aren't hard to find, they just cost a lot. otherwise an old blaupunkt. Dont know why the new ones have to be so bling. Those CD400s as mentioned look nice too. Whenever I upgrade its going to be a business class or one of the Nakis.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TDE30 View Post
                              Period correct? One word: Blaupunkt.
                              I had a line on a NOS Blaupunkt Munich CD player and am very upset my friend botched the bid on eBay. It would have looked great in my vert.

I just picked one of these up instead as it is really hard to find anything in great condition these days and there is no way I'm putting my Alpine 7909L in a cabriolet.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X