Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Favorite $30 Mod so far...(keyless entry)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/noob post haha (forgive me as im new to e30s :) )

ok now everyone is doing this to their e30s it seems, and they have power locks, generally i think of power locks as lock button on the door but the e30 has no lock buttons on the door but if i turn the key 90 degrees all the doors lock or unlock, just like if i unlock/lock through the trunk, so im assuming this is the same setup as everyone? and i will be able to use this keyless entry,
    im assuming this is the one everyone is talking about correct?

and just wire it in the trunk as everyone else was talking about?
    thanks
    and if this is what you guys are talking about then i think ill be ordering one in the morning :) woohoo
    itll definetly come in handy in the rain when trying to run around the car opening the other door for people :)
    Present:
    1984 633csi
    1985 635csi
    Past:
    1991 318i / 1987 325e / 1988 325is / 1986 325i / 1985 535i

Comment

Originally posted by joecoolinatl

ok now everyone is doing this to their e30s it seems, and they have power locks, generally i think of power locks as lock button on the door but the e30 has no lock buttons on the door but if i turn the key 90 degrees all the doors lock or unlock, just like if i unlock/lock through the trunk, so im assuming this is the same setup as everyone? and i will be able to use this keyless entry,

thanks
      and if this is what you guys are talking about then i think ill be ordering one in the morning :) woohoo
      itll definetly come in handy in the rain when trying to run around the car opening the other door for people :)

that was painful to read.

Yes.
      Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
      Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen
        Originally posted by joecoolinatl

thanks

that was painful to read.

Yes.
        Oh my gosh, I SOOO agree!!

ANYWAY,

I ordered mine off of ebay earlier this week, got it mid week and INSTALLED IT TODAY!!

I am THRILLED!! I was very worried that I wouldn't get the wiring right and completely immobilize my car, BUT I did more research than was probably necessary and prevailed!

I swung by my mechanics to drop off my old US grills for one of his employees, he was thoroughly impressed! But then again, he is a nice guy. :)

SO, if I can do it, ANYONE can. I highly recommend this cheap mod to anyone on here that wants key less entry!

:)

Comment

hahaha hard to read
          im sureit was haha i posted that at 430am

i ordered mine and got it, but im not putting it on until tomorrow
          when i put in the subframe mounts as well
          and the new dimmer/combo switch since my headlights wont stay on low. haha damn 20 yr old switch decided to break
          Present:
          1984 633csi
          1985 635csi
          Past:
          1991 318i / 1987 325e / 1988 325is / 1986 325i / 1985 535i

Comment

All I need to know is which wires to connect to which wires on the car? Did I miss that somewhere?

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
            1989 325iC M50 Vert
            1989 325i Coupe
            1991 318is
            1995 318ti Club Sport
            2006 330i e90
            2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

Originally posted by brodee
              All I need to know is which wires to connect to which wires on the car? Did I miss that somewhere?
              yes, link in first post
              Luke
              98 M3 with many goodies

Comment

Originally posted by 325is_MadBimmer
                yes, link in first post
                that lnk has been dead for awhile.
                Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

I have an 89 325i

I just needed to put BOTH of the unit's blue wires to the green/black and both of the unit's green wires to the green/purple wires on the car. I hooked red power wire up to the antenna power wire (also red) and grounded the whole thing with the black ground wire, again, attached to the ground wire on the antenna.

I did not need to attach the antenna wire to my antenna. I tested it before hand, and my car will unlock all the way from my apartment (which is two stories up) with out being hooked to anything.

I hope that helps. I don't know if your wiring is colored the same as mine. But the wires I needed were located in the smaller bundle of wires. (there were two when I pulled back the liner)

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by kdzrok
                    I have an 89 325i

I just needed to put BOTH of the unit's blue wires to the green/black and both of the unit's green wires to the green/purple wires on the car. I hooked red power wire up to the antenna power wire (also red) and grounded the whole thing with the black ground wire, again, attached to the ground wire on the antenna.

I did not need to attach the antenna wire to my antenna. I tested it before hand, and my car will unlock all the way from my apartment (which is two stories up) with out being hooked to anything.

I hope that helps. I don't know if your wiring is colored the same as mine. But the wires I needed were located in the smaller bundle of wires. (there were two when I pulled back the liner)

good luck!
                    Thanks, that's what I needed. I'm going to do this on my '87 tomorrow and if it works fine I'll pick one up for my '89 too.

"Modern cars may be able to outgun it, but few can match its character, its motorsport spirit, and the way it plasters a huge grin on your face at any speed." - Patrick George

1988 M3 - Track Rat
                    1989 325iC M50 Vert
                    1989 325i Coupe
                    1991 318is
                    1995 318ti Club Sport
                    2006 330i e90
                    2008 Tundra Crewmax

Comment

Re: My Favorite $30 Mod so far...(keyless entry)

Here are the wires that I spliced into. I finally had time to go out to my car and physically look because i've had lots of questions via PM/AIM.

Originally posted by LikeCDoos
                      Car Wire -- Keyless Wire -- Function
                      Brown -- Black -- Ground
                      Red -- Red -- 12V
                      Green/Black -- Green -- Lock
                      Green/Purple -- Blue -- Unloc]

Comment

anyone know whereelse these are sold for that cheap? The ebay guy seems to have ran out and i want one.

Can i find something like this at a local shop?
                        www.ThundaCats.com

Comment

Here is the link to the Keyless entry. I just oreded 2. One for me and one for my son.
                          sigpic
                          1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                          1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                          1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                          1990 E30 325i
                          1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                          1996 E36 328ic
                          1997 Z3
                          2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

thanks alot man
                            www.ThundaCats.com

Comment

Has any one had problems with the keyless entry not working? I cant get any signal out of the receiver. The locks wont trip. I can manually trip them but the unit wont work. I have sent an email to the people I got it from but havent heard back from them yet.
                              sigpic
                              1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                              1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                              1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                              1990 E30 325i
                              1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                              1996 E36 328ic
                              1997 Z3
                              2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

Why is there so much excitement over a simple keyless entry unit? This has been done for eons as an add-on to aftermarket alarms. It's so easy on an E30 with central locking. I just installed an AutoPage 310 alarm (a very basic unit) in my 86 e, tripping the locks with one alarm output and a relay. I also added a power window module to have the windows roll up on arming, and used the trunk release output (since it's not needed anyway with central locks) and a couple more relays to do pulsed windows down the old school way. It did mean tapping into the wiring behind the window switches, but all this added bling only cost a buck ten, including the alarm. 8)
                                The extra security of an alarm is worth it, IMHO.
                                Oh, and I did this myself in three hrs. with just the alarm install manual and a Bentley to work from, so the regular DIY'er can do it. If you don't know how to wire a relay though, fuggedaboutit, I'm not giving instructions.
                                Phil Griffin
                                Toronto, Canada
                                '86 325es
                                85 VW GTI VR6

Comment

Working...
                                X