Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Favorite $30 Mod so far...(keyless entry)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30325ic
    Has any one had problems with the keyless entry not working? I cant get any signal out of the receiver. The locks wont trip. I can manually trip them but the unit wont work. I have sent an email to the people I got it from but havent heard back from them yet.
    My remote conked out on me about 2 months after I installed it. The other one hasn't worked since I got it. The one was a battery issue, i am assuming the other is as well.

Try changing the battery. Even if the red light lights up. It's cheap, I got mine at Auto Zone. They were the only place that had it. But then again, I didn't look that hard. I only looked when I saw a battery isle and remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff
      Why is there so much excitement over a simple keyless entry unit? This has been done for eons as an add-on to aftermarket alarms.
      :stupid:

How can you lot have so much trouble with 5 wires? Please make sure you put fuses in the right places, not to protect you latest toys but to protect any wires that you might have run. I'm sure you'd be a bit pissed if you came back to unlock a burnt out shell.

Also, I'm amazed at the amount of money some of you have poured into your cars and no alarms? I'd think that would be one of the first things on a mod list. With an alarm you get the flashing lights and the horn beeping plus the security of having an alarm and an immobiliser. And you get cheaper insurance or in my case you have to have one to get insurance.

Comment

The problem did lie in the remote. It sometimes doenst work unless you shake it real hard. Bad contacts on the battery seemed to be the culprit. This is a very easy keyless entry to hook up. I found out the the instructions says that the remotes are preprogramed but neither remote was programed on either uinit that I installed. Both seem to work well now. The company that sold them on ebay responded to the email very quickly. I would recommend them to anyone.
        sigpic
        1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
        1995 E30 325e (in progress)
        1987 E30 325is (totaled)
        1990 E30 325i
        1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
        1996 E36 328ic
        1997 Z3
        2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

ok so i got mine and am in the middle of hooking it up.
          this is on a 85 318i

i got the lock to work, but can get the unlock to work yet
          first off i dont have a green/purple wire, i have a yellow/black wire instead, everything else is the same, so i tried the yell/blk wire and it doesnt unlock yet, if anyone knows the color of the wire for the unlock let me know

and any other early 318i'ers doing this, the easiest 12v source is the red antenna power wire (easiest for me)
          www.ThundaCats.com

Comment

ok the yellow/black wire on my car is the same as green/purple on others. They both are unlock wires.

Now everything works great, now its time to clean up the wires

im gonna love this thing
            www.ThundaCats.com

Comment

Just got mine hooked up.....Works great! :D

Comment

I can't wait to get it installed on my car, it's one of the first things I'm doing. :D

Comment

I want one but the link doesnt work anymore!
                  Randall Racing and Engineering
                  Acworth, Georgia, 30101
                  http://www.facebook.com/RandallRacingandEngineering

Comment

Here is a new link.
                    sigpic
                    1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                    1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                    1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                    1990 E30 325i
                    1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                    1996 E36 328ic
                    1997 Z3
                    2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

If your wireless receiver was working and doesn't work anymore, check the fuse on it, it has a very small fuse near the connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by zxd
                        If your wireless receiver was working and doesn't work anymore, check the fuse on it, it has a very small fuse near the connectors.
                        Thanks, mine doesn't work anymore. The second remote never did...I will have to check this.

Do you mean the actual piece that is in the trunk? I guess that would be the reiciver...

or the remote on my keychain?

Comment

The actual piece that is in the trunk, the receiver. That is which has the fuse.

If one of your REMOTES work though and the other doesn't thats because of the remote, if BOTH REMOTES DONT WORK THOUGH then the problem could be the receiver fuse.

Check your battery in your remote if that isn't working.

Comment

Finished

I won't say its REALLY EASY but its COMPARATIVELY EASY to many of the other things you can do, it was easy for me because I've installed my own radio and that taught me a lot. I use a crimp tool from radio shack, red butt connectors, and electrical tape to make everything clean and organized, I also used a piece of velcro to attach the unit to the trunk.

<br><

By the way, I didn't wanna mess around and take chances of it not working based on other peoples experience in this thread so I used both harnesses that came with the receiver, I attached both blues and both greens.

Comment

What kind of wheels are those in the picture of the red 3. those are hot!
                              -Josh
                              E30's Rock!

Comment

my unit crapped out a couple months ago, then ZXD reminded me how pimp it was on aim, and i bought another, just plugged it into my wiring, and BOOM everything worked again. its worth buying 2 of them a year to save wear and tear on the locks. its baaaack, and i love this thing.
                                Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X