What do you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you recommend?

I've been trying to decide what kind of system to get for my car and I was thinkin along the lines of 2 ten inch subs in the trunk and some new speakers with possibly a 600-1200 watt amp with a capacitator...

if you guys have any advice for me let me know!

Two 10"s in an e30? One would be plenty.

I'd buy a nice set of components for the front and one 10" for the rear, and then get a 3 or 4 channel amp to power all of them.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Jordan says my car has WAY too much bass using 1 infinity perfect 12 in 2.25 cu ft with a single 4" port, 14" long. His brother says it's COOL!

My amp ios a POS Poineer GMT5000 that makes 380 watts, RMS. Yeah right. Sounds more like 275 to me, but whatever. I sealed ALL of the output of the woofer and the port into the car. My backseat looks like 2 midgets wrasslin in the trunk, yo.

BTW, I have very little trunk rattle.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

With 360-420RMS going to one 12", I have way more bass than I need. Those with more than one sub in an E30 are just going for bling.

Comment

I have a JL Audio 250/1 amp sending 250watts RMS into a single JL Audio 10w3V2 (dual 4 OHM, running @ 2OHM) in a 1.5cubic ft. ported box. The box is ported directlty into the rear deck,the sub fires through the skihole and is completely isolated from the trunk. 95% of the sound energy is going directly into the cabin of the car. There is extremely little audible bass outside the car with the doors/windows/sunroof open @ max volume and no vibrating trim, licence plates, etc what so ever.

It pounds the living shit out of my car to no end. Sounds fucking superb, hits monsteriously tight and hard, and will play as loud as it goes with zero distortion. After an hour @ max volume the amps heatsink was still cool to the touch. No joke.

If you use good equipment, build a proper box, and set it up right... you will definately be happy with what you can get from a single 10.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

I agree with the others, a single 10 is fine, but if you want more bass (that's going to be up to you and your tastes), go with a 12. I advise against dual set ups, it can costs more than if you just buy a single quality higher end sub, and the output will be better.

Comment

what if you buy two quality subs? (i used to have 2 12" JLs...till some stupid kids ripped me off) JL is the shit! oh, jordan about that port, i wanted to have something like that done to my car when i was getting my box ideas all sorted, but the tech who worked there advised against it because it has an adverse effect on the structural integrity of the rear end of the car. i dunno if you found a way around it (but you seem to always do). i ended up just building a basic sealed box, sounded fantastic, and it could be heard from pretty far away.
              I retired my E30 for now...
              E46 323i
              David Schultz

Comment

Originally posted by DSchultz325e
                what if you buy two quality subs?
                Then you're either slaughtering the balance of sound in your car, or not using the two of them to their potential therefore meaning one would be enough.

Comment

I cut a 3" hole through flat sheet metal in the rear deck. I didn't cut through any creases nor did I loose my trunk springs. I seriously doubt structural integrity was affected in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
                    Then you're either slaughtering the balance of sound in your car, or not using the two of them to their potential therefore meaning one would be enough.
                    haha, i guarantee you the low end fit my vehicle perfectly. I had tried various sub/amp setups (i think 6) and once I purchased another amp to drive my cabin w/ the components, everything was so damn crystal clear it was amazing. You'd be surprised how much high powered mid/highs plus good imaging can do to "quiet" the bass inside the car. Very often, I'd get comments from people telling me that when I drove closer, it wasn't just a big boom boom boom then you hear the mid/high range once i drove up close. Instead, it was just the music progressively getting louder.
                    I retired my E30 for now...
                    E46 323i
                    David Schultz

Comment

One 10" is more than enough, my 10" type R isn't... the VERY top of the line in subs and I can still crank it to amounts that I feel like I'm hurting my car. Two 10" would just be unnecessary, just make sure you have a quality sub and don't skimp out on the amp, you'll be satisfied. Spend the rest of the money on either components for the front with a multi-channel amp or save it for mechanical repairs or cosmetic upgrades.
                      '91 E30 M42 DIAMANTSCHWARZ

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedMunky
                        One 10" is more than enough, my 10" type R isn't... the VERY top of the line in subs and I can still crank it to amounts that I feel like I'm hurting my car. Two 10" would just be unnecessary, just make sure you have a quality sub and don't skimp out on the amp, you'll be satisfied. Spend the rest of the money on either components for the front with a multi-channel amp or save it for mechanical repairs or cosmetic upgrades.
                        You consider Alpine Type R's to be VERY top of the line? Laughable at best.

I would have to say that the amp is more important than the sub. If you are going to skimp on one or the other, get a kick ass amp and a lesser sub; use the sub to its FULL potential.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

It was kinda confusing TJ (his wording) but if you reread it you will see that you are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                            use the sub to its FULL potential.
                            f*ck that :P
                            Go past that.
                            Screw 1 10" being enough, 1 15" is enough for me, I just need to get it :P

BTW: I have a single 12" in my car (kicker comp vr, super cheap) running off a small amp, and I'm sure that a simple setup like that (probably $100-$200 depending on amp) is enough for most people... only deaf bassheads want more.

Comment

I had two 10's in the day, mtx thunder 4000s, now I have one 12" JL w3v2 the 12 both loud, 12 a lot clearer and less trunk rattle. But I changed the direction it fired wehn I got my 12 so that might have something to do with it.

I have 150 RMX x2 before now 300RMS x 1 for the 12. I have enough bass for now, without my coxials being powered.

Sold it.

Comment

Working...
                              X