Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How easy is it to get to the alternator by itself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How easy is it to get to the alternator by itself?

I have a garage available tomorrow and friday, at which time I am tackling the timing belt, front seals, and water pump and all cooling hoses. I wanted to change the alternator too, but my replacement one got sent back to the sender, so it obviously wont be here in time.

So, if I was going to do the alternator job by itself, how hard is it to get to it later on, once I have the rest of the car back together? It looks like I just have to pull the airbox/air meter and there it is. Do i have to get under it to get a lower bolt, or can I get to it from the top alone? Please dont tell me i need to open the cooling system and move hoses, or the rad! Thanks.

1991 325i.
    Last edited by robspeed325i; 11-19-2008, 04:24 PM.

Originally posted by robspeed325i View Post
    I have a garage available tomorrow and friday, at which time I am tackling the timing belt, front seals, and water pump and all cooling hoses. I wanted to change the alternator too, but my replacement one got sent back to the sender, so it obviously wont be here in time.

So, if I was going to do the alternator job by itself, how hard is it to get to it later on, once I have the rest of the car back together? It looks like I just have to pull the airbox/air meter and there it is. Do i have to get under it to get a lower bolt, or can I get to it from the top alone? Please dont tell me i need to open the cooling system and move hoses, or the rad! Thanks.

1991 325i.
    You only need to remove the airbox for access (you can do it without from below, but thats not fun)

Takes about 15 min total to swap them, be sure to disconnect the battery so you don't drop the cable and ground it out.

Comment

Working...
    X