removing the stock door tweeters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing the stock door tweeters

i want to pull out the stock tweeters in the door and replace the tweeter itself with a similar sized, but higher quality tweeter.
    i was trying to get one out today and it seems pretty stuck.

are they glued in?
    can i carefully use a heat gun to soften the glue if there is any?

thanks
    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

router...

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
    1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

a large hammer?????

to clarify i want to keep the stock grilles in place and mount the upgrades behind them

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

yes use a router to get them out then you can either glue or mount in the new ones....

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
        1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

A router? No.

Just pry it out with a screwdriver from the inside.
          -Andy

Comment

you mean like a dremel?

a router is a pretty big piece of machinery

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardmonkey View Post
              A router? No.

Just pry it out with a screwdriver from the inside.
              so they are not glued. they are just being stubborn.

Comment

this is what i do. Remove the rubber window seal strip that (surrounds the window) just behind the tweeter. then you will see a silver clip behind a small hole. push that tab towards the front of the car, and towards the interior. That is the metal clip that holds it in place. Be careful removing it in order not to break the plastics posts that keep it lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.strangelove View Post
                  this is what i do. Remove the rubber window seal strip that (surrounds the window) just behind the tweeter. then you will see a silver clip behind a small hole. push that tab towards the front of the car, and towards the interior. That is the metal clip that holds it in place. Be careful removing it in order not to break the plastics posts that keep it lined up.

thanks, but i think you misunderstood my post. i am trying to take the tweeter out of the pod that is located on the door. not remove the pod from the door. that is already done

Comment

They are glued in, but a little careful prying will get them out. Try trimming all the way around them with an exacto blade first. After you get them out, use hot glue to mount the new ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X