I need some headunit advice please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some headunit advice please...

A while back we spoke about my ice, it was suggested that I get a new HU... Well I think I'm about ready for a new one... At the time I wasn't wanting to replace me old deck because it was working really well for me... Now the display is starting to act up. My question is what unit should I get? Price isn't a problem (with in reason), but it must have red/amber illumination, play MP3's, a remote would be nice, and simple design that mounts flush. I don't want it to stick out like a soar thumb.

tks for your input
    Mike

Finding one that doesn't stick out and plays MP3s will be a tough task. Most that play MP3s, at least the ones that I've encountered, have radical designs that really look strange in an e30.

I'll have to look around, but I'm not really sure of any decks that have amber illumination (which is becoming a rarity these days due to green interior illumination of most cars).

I know that Naks don't play MP3s, does anybody know if any Becker decks do?
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Thanks Ken, don't go out of your way, I thought you would have some you could recommend off the top of your head... I'll head down to the local car audio shops and look around. I'm not in a hurry or anything... Can you tell me what brands to stay away from? Sony has everything I want but I'm always hearing how crappy they are. I hear good things about Alpine but they're a little over the top for my taste... I don't need very many features. The CD 400 was good for it's day but how about now? that deck must be over 5 years old now surely something better is around.

tks again
      M

Comment

The CD-400 is still an amazing deck, but it doesn't play MP3s.

I don't think that Alpine currently has any decks with amber illumination.

You might want to take a look at the Clarion DXZ745MP. It has a nice DA converter for CD playback, several shades of amber illuminatino to choose from, and it has MP3 playback capability.

Comment

will do thanks

ttyl
          M

Comment

i just got a cd-400 and i love it, i was hesitant earlier about it not playing mp3's but i decided if i really want mp3's ill just get a 6-disk changer that plays them or something.

Comment

I have a kenwood KDC X769 it is great but for mp3 you need the 869 otherwise it's the same deck. It meets al of your demands (amber, remote, mp3)

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink
                I have a kenwood KDC X769 it is great but for mp3 you need the 869 otherwise it's the same deck. It meets al of your demands (amber, remote, mp3)
                Originally posted by Mike 91 318ic
                I don't want it to stick out like a soar thumb.
                The 869 looks like it belongs on the Starship Enterprise.

Comment

The 869 looks like it belongs on the Starship Enterprise.
                  Only when you are using it is it evident there is a radio at all the MASK face rotates and it is a black panel or the panel comes off and you have a small panel to take which makes the unit useless to thieves & is not the whole face which always gets all banged up no matter how careful you are with it. Plus it is an excellent unit with a great remote. Also the way the face sticks out it puts the really cool roatry volume knob right where I want it and it is different than all the other controls so I am not accidentally hitting something I don't want to (like the eject button) on my previous KDC X817.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Mike, the Clarion DXZ845MP was on sale at A&B for $397. And the 645 was on sale for 299, so I picked it up the other day. I haven't installed it yet though.
                    Only difference between the models is that 745 has a motrorized face (which I dont care about), and screen plays some graphics (which I also dont care about) and the 845 has a internal harddrive of some sort that can store some songs.
                    ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

I dont see a spot to put cd's in on that Clarion DXZ745MP does it fold out? Looks sweet btw

Comment

Originally posted by Schneider325
                        I dont see a spot to put cd's in on that Clarion DXZ745MP does it fold out? Looks sweet btw
                        Yes, motorized face.

Comment

Actually Ken, most of the higher end Alpine decks (that are in stores now) do in fact have Amber Illumination. I think that's the iPersonalize feature. That's what I'm currently seeking.

I've made a little list of the decks *I think* have amber illumination capabilities:

Comment

Originally posted by spencers
                            I've made a little list of the decks *I think* have amber illumination capabilities:
                            I know I adjusted the local shop's display 9833 so the it perfectly matches an e30 interior :P
                            Only the buttons change color though, the screen still sticks out

Comment

call me odd but I waited and waited and waited till I got my hands on an older alpine...
                              BLENDS in @ night nicely. It was either the 7894 or a clarion, I have NO regrets on getting the alpine.

I wuv it 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X