Aftermarket "original" stereo won't fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket "original" stereo won't fit

Sorry for this oddball post, but I've been struggling with this for a while and have run out of options.

I purchased a stereo unit off Ebay that was supposed to be original, but while I've easily wired it up correctly, it doesn't "stick" in the radio slot. The toothed tabs on the side of the radio don't have anything to stick into... it's as if I need a bracket for the car. Maybe someone with an original stereo could inspect their setup and let me know. I've attatched photos of the problem.

Thanks,
    Alec

Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio 2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	9861567
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio 1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	9861568

Strange. Looks to be the standard DIN size, so it should fit. Have you tried brute force yet? I see some clips protruding out of the side. Just make sure there's plenty of clearance behind the unit.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I have, I can push it back easily but there's nothing to keep it back. The first picture shows where it ends up, with the clips hooking into their natural spot.

Comment

Maybe a previous owner has modified the trim panel to fit a different aftermarket radio? They may have enlarged the hole so now the stock radio doesn't snap in.

Can you post a picture of the side of the radio showing he clip?

Comment

Remove it, and show a clear pic of the cavity it's going into. It's almost like you're trying to force it into an aftermarket radio sleeve?!?!?
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I think the previous owner must've widened the hole like you said... it perfectly fit the previous radio's sleeve, and there's no sleeve in in currently.

I've just sold the car (was getting it ready to sell), but I appreciate your responses. Not sure how to delete this thread though--mods feel free to take it down if you want or leave it up for posterity.

Comment

Working...
            X