Door Jamb switch single prong vs 2 prong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Jamb switch single prong vs 2 prong

Tried to replace door switches this weekend (the switch that signals to turn on cabin lights, sits in the jamb just below the door brake) Pulled part numbers from Realoem...
    61311368430 supersedes old part number. Received 2 of the correct parts based on number from Autohaus.
    Removed stock switches and found that my stock was 2 prong while the new part is single prong. What do I do? Ground the other line to a ground point?!

part#
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AmI7qUV.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	9862903

Looks the same from the outside:

Name:	V5dHT0l.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	9862904

not the same on the inside:

Name:	mxlUd19.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	9862905

original switch open:

Name:	1Mn7OVb.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	9862906

original switch closed:

Name:	O4G5ED1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	9862907
    sigpic

bump... I guess i can ground it to the chassis using the mounting screw... i dunno how i feel about having raw metal there though. or what does it matter since it's rusted and rusts anyway? anyone?
    sigpic

Comment

Brown is ground, i would see what happends if you put the non-brown wire on the single prong and see if it works (tape up the brown wire and just shove it inside and see if it works through the chassis). Plenty of cars only have a single prong switch that goes to ground through the chassis.

Surprises me that the switch went bad? you'd think those switches would last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        Brown is ground, i would see what happends if you put the non-brown wire on the single prong and see if it works (tape up the brown wire and just shove it inside and see if it works through the chassis). Plenty of cars only have a single prong switch that goes to ground through the chassis.

Surprises me that the switch went bad? you'd think those switches would last forever.
        i tested my old switches and was getting intermittent readings depending on how i released the button. maybe it's just a little rusted/gunky inside. Going to try some electrical contact cleaner tomorrow and see if that jostles it up and lets the lights come on more consistently.
        sigpic

Comment

One post is for the lights. The other you can use for an aftermarket alarm install. Not that anyone should install one of those. THe "WA-WA-WA-WA-WA-WA-" of a car alarm means nothing now-a-days.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            One post is for the lights. The other you can use for an aftermarket alarm install. Not that anyone should install one of those. THe "WA-WA-WA-WA-WA-WA-" of a car alarm means nothing now-a-days.
            interesting... thanks for the insight mr graves.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X