Radio Issue Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio Issue Questions

Recently swapped out the stock radio in my '91 318IS for a VDO TR7412UB-OR head unit.
    Sounded good at first but now I'm hearing the problems.
    -First, radio won't turn on with the car, have to manually turn it on every time
    -Sound to the speakers will fade in and out, and sometimes cut out to speakers all together
    -Twice it cut off completely and I had to turn the radio off and back on again.
    -Second time resetting it, the sound was very quiet and sounded extremely muffled, like it was being played though heavy fabric

These problems are pretty on/off but all of this happened in a short period of time and the new head unit has only been in for two days. Is it the unit? Wiring? Speakers? Anyone with experience with this unit have any advice?

My unit was reliable, don't recall if it would come on when keyed up however. Check your wiring/install, replace system/car fuses, and failing that initiate an exchange.

Comment

Regarding power of the unit, you did not hook up the red wire correctly (on the new radio). When the red wire is energized, it will power the radio. When its deenergized, it will power down the radio. I assume you also have to power the radio down manually too. Double check the yellow wire is connected to constant power for memory and red to accessory power.

Regarding the performance, it sounds like the radio is going into protection mode, meaning one of your speakers is shorting out or failing. It can also be old wiring shorting to metal or the speaker connections touching metal or two wires that have broken insulation and touching each other but most likely it is a dying speaker, especially if they are original.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
      X