Views:	3896
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	9878043
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_183550.jpg
Views:	1787
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	9878044

my ignition switch doesn't exactly match the wiring diagram in my book. some of the wire colors are different and it doesn't say anything about the brown/green and brown/red wires.
    all I need is off/on/crank so having acc/on doesn't matter to me.
    so red is power input
    black is crank
    and the green and violet wires are for acc/on
    but are the brown/green and brown/red wires ground or is there no ground?
    anybody know? really appreciate any insight that can explain this better to me
    Last edited by hkv; 10-14-2019, 07:08 PM.

How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

unfortunately that document didn't help me, they only show 3 wires going in and out of the ignition switch.

Comment

brown/green connects to brown/red via those copper colored plates on the switch I have pictured when its turned from off. I really just need to find out what those two wires are for if they are ground. neither my manuals diagram or the diagram rzerob provided for me describe those two wires

Comment

I looked at some instructions for several universal ignition switches and they don't seem to utilize a ground. so I think I can safely assume this bmw ignition switch doesn't use ground either. I guess ignition switches don't need/use a ground but if anyone knows for sure let me know.

Comment

I guarantee you it's in the ETM for your specific car. They're very well made, complete, and accurate.

Brown is ground on BMWs. The brown wire there goes to pin 8 on C200, which I imagine is connected to ground on the other side. You haven't given the year and model, so I can't look at the specific ETM for your car. On my car, it's on page 0670-14, ground distribution, C200, pin 8.

Comment

All european cars use brown as the ground wire.
              Owner - Bavarian Restoration
              BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
              www.BavRest.com
              My Feedback Thread
              Our Facebook!
              Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I was unsure of the year and model your E30 is so my results are based on a 1987 325. Wire color, description and page the schematic that shows these results.

br/gn: door warning chime - power fuse 21 6131-0
                br/rd: door warning chime - ground 6131-0
                rd: battery postive 30 1240-1
                bk/yl: 50 1240-1
                gn: 15 1240-1
                br: seat belt warning timer - ground 3435-0
                br/bu: seat belt warning timer - power 3435-0
                vi: R 0670-3
                vi/gn: 15I 0670-3
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by cscracker View Post
                  I guarantee you it's in the ETM for your specific car. They're very well made, complete, and accurate.

Brown is ground on BMWs. The brown wire there goes to pin 8 on C200, which I imagine is connected to ground on the other side. You haven't given the year and model, so I can't look at the specific ETM for your car. On my car, it's on page 0670-14, ground distribution, C200, pin 8.
                  Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
                  All european cars use brown as the ground wire.

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                  I was unsure of the year and model your E30 is so my results are based on a 1987 325. Wire color, description and page the schematic that shows these results.
                  Originally posted by rzerob View Post

br/gn: door warning chime - power fuse 21 6131-0
                  br/rd: door warning chime - ground 6131-0
                  rd: battery postive 30 1240-1
                  bk/yl: 50 1240-1
                  gn: 15 1240-1
                  br: seat belt warning timer - ground 3435-0
                  br/bu: seat belt warning timer - power 3435-0
                  vi: R 0670-3
                  vi/gn: 15I 0670-3

ok thank you guys very much for your responses. the diagram im referring to in the document rzerob provided for me is on page 1240 of the 87' version. so apparently I didn't realize there were further wires on other pages.

the list rzerob kindly just posted is the first complete list of the wires ive seen and I appreciate that and its useful to find out what those brown/green brown/red wires were for. they are for the door warning chime.

what ive concluded is that although the bmw ignition switch does in fact utilize ground(brown/red for the door warning chime, and brown for the seat belt warning) they are irrelevant for my application because I do not have a door warning chime system or a seat belt warning system. so im pretty sure the only wires that I need to use are the red for power input, black for crank and then I will wire green, grn/vi and vi together for on. the other 4 brown wire I think are not needed so I will cap them.

like I mentioned I did research on aftermarket universal ignitions that showed me that they don't use a ground and then I also just now googled forum posts on hot rod forums(https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ground.710868/) that indicate that ignition switches don't need a ground so that's another reason why I believe that I don't need any ground but if anyone thinks im incorrect or missing something please alert me, I would hate to fry anything electronic.

Comment

Working...
                  X