Cluster without check engine light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster without check engine light?

My 1989 318i touring is having a misfire, but there’s no check engine light even when the key is in the second position. I figured it could be a bulb or maybe some fuse that’s blown out, so I popped the cluster out and there were only two wires running to the back of the cluster. There is no bulb in the place where the check engine light would usually be.

Apparently some Euro market e30s did not require a CEL. Has anybody experienced something similar? Is it possible to wire up a CEL?

I also don’t have the “check” light since these cars didn’t come with the overhead check panel.

M40 car=no CEL. Yes, it is possible to get one in place, best bet might be to look at Euro folks who did so to their M42s.

Alternately, get a scanner that can interface with the diagnostic port.

In the interim, diag your car, and remember from a diagnostic standpoint, the M40 is like an M42 bottom end/management with an M20 cylinder head/ignition system.

Comment

Pending what causes the misfire it probably wouldn't show up on a check engine light anyway. Start with the basics and work upwards.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        Pending what causes the misfire it probably wouldn't show up on a check engine light anyway. Start with the basics and work upwards.
        I changed the spark plugs, ignition wires, cap and rotor. Rather than dump any more money into this engine I purchased an M42, which was ultimately the plan anyways. I’d still like to get this light sorted though.

Comment

Working...
        X