radio crackling and very loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radio crackling and very loud

hey everyone i'm still learning how to navigate the forum correctly. looking for help and if someone already posted something like this (surely someone did) then i will continue searching. My 88 325ix hadn't ran in 8 years i bought it and got it going i just called the dealer yesterday and got the 5 digit radio code. the radio came on but had alot of static and crackling. is it better to put an aftermarket radio in and follow the sticky for bypassing the amp or is there a way to test that the amp is bad? i'm trying to keep this as original as possible it's a one owner super low milage car. I sold two spare radios i had like an idiot too! thank you in advance for any and all help with this.

I'll be posting some troubleshooting advice this weekend.
    you should have a dash fader knob on your car, and you probably have the door tweeters and premium amp too.
    my 88IX came with a pioneer KE81ZBM 2 channel radio and premium sound. you could also have a 5905 in there.

is the noise present even if you're not moving the volume control?
    does it get louder if you turn the volume up or stay the same?
    is it on all channels?
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I'm one for trying to keep the stock sound system. When working properly, the premium sound system truly does sound... premium. First thing I would try (with the car off) is pulling off the volume knob, spraying into the wiper switch with some electric parts cleaner, then putting the knob back on and rapidly turning the knob from off to full volume and back for a minute. I'll bet that'll do it :) my radio did the same thing when I first installed it, and this was the fix. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
      (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
        I'll be posting some troubleshooting advice this weekend.
        you should have a dash fader knob on your car, and you probably have the door tweeters and premium amp too.
        my 88IX came with a pioneer KE81ZBM 2 channel radio and premium sound. you could also have a 5905 in there.

is the noise present even if you're not moving the volume control?
        does it get louder if you turn the volume up or stay the same?
        is it on all channels?
        sorry for the delayed response. when i turn the radio on it will be quiet then the crackling will start and will be very loud with the volume knob down turning the knob makes the crackling stop intermittently and will have dead air going over the speakers. any channel all the same. i believe my radio is the 5905.

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
          I'm one for trying to keep the stock sound system. When working properly, the premium sound system truly does sound... premium. First thing I would try (with the car off) is pulling off the volume knob, spraying into the wiper switch with some electric parts cleaner, then putting the knob back on and rapidly turning the knob from off to full volume and back for a minute. I'll bet that'll do it :) my radio did the same thing when I first installed it, and this was the fix. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
          i will definitely give it a try the car sat for 8 years so i'm not sure if its from sitting or the amp is bad or the deck is bad

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy.Jim View Post
            i will definitely give it a try the car sat for 8 years so i'm not sure if its from sitting or the amp is bad or the deck is bad
            Excellent, keep us updated Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
              Excellent, keep us updated Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
              hey i forgot to ask you said to pull the knob and spray the wiper switch? i assume that's whats behind the knob. i kept thinking you meant the wiper stalk lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy.Jim View Post
                hey i forgot to ask you said to pull the knob and spray the wiper switch? i assume that's whats behind the knob. i kept thinking you meant the wiper stalk lol
                I should have worded that better lol! Yes spray the volume switch after you pull off the knob, and then turn the switch rapidly full off to full on a bunch of times. Volume switches are called "wiper switches" because they use contacts that sweep along a barrel inside. Essentially what you're trying to do is clean the barrel surface with the spray/ actuation Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
                (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Working...
                X