New front kick panel speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New front kick panel speakers

Going to order some new aftermarket 5.25” speakers.

But as I compare the various speakers to the stock ones...

.... it looks like the factory ones have a ring that goes around the outside of the large rubber ring around the speaker.

The aftermarket ones do not.

Does that matter...?

Yes I’ve heard some premium BMW 5.25” actually sound best in our kicks. Feed them some real power. Seek E34 and E30 premium speakers. The Thiel parameters of these are ideal for the kick volume / configuration. Aftermarket surrounds might ended up hitting the trim while playing. On that note, the cost effective Silver Flutes 5.5” fit with some creative mounting techniques. In order to avoid the surround from hitting the trim, I used spacers on the speaker mounting screws to push the trim out. I imagine you could do the same. The SFs sounded great while they were in there (without DSP) I’ve since moved to a 6.5” in door and threw a 3” midrange down in the kicks with tweets in sails. DSP makes it all sound so nice ! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. Premiums are so old at this point though. Even if they sound good they are old. A new set would prob sound so much better...?

Comment

I wouldn’t hesitate. I have some in the attic if anyone is interested Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are these an upgrade to the factory premium sound 5.25’s?

Kicker 47KSC504

Thanks!

Comment

Sounds like they fit! Those have the tweeters down there though. Got anything yiu wanna trade for my premiums or SFs? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

id look for some component speakers, the ones with the tweeterseparate. which ones idk

Comment

I'll 2nd the above comment, you ideally will get much better sound with a set of separate speakers, the 5.25 woofer in the footwell and the tweeter in the door corner.

One important question is how will you power them? Are you running the factory head unit, and simply pulling the old and putting in the new? Or are you running a newer head unit?

Comment

I used a set of Alpine Type R 5.25 inch component speakers powered by a 90x2 watt amp and Alpine head unit, they have really great performance and midbass. You want to modify and use the factory grill or build a spacer to avoid the surround hitting the trim. It may make the trim stick out a little bit but barely noticeable and drastic improvement in sound.

I do not recommend coaxial speakers because the tweeter will stick out too much, unless you find one with a low profile tweeter which are usually the cheapest crappy base line of speakers.

I also do not recommend using any 30+ year old factory speakers as those materials are already heavily worn and will not compare to the performance of a mid or high end new set of speakers.
                  Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                  BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
                  X