Deck Lid Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deck Lid Material

Restoring 1987 BMW vert and the vinyl material I purchased to cover the deck lid is not standing up to stretching and was wondering what others have used to replace this material? Thanks

Bump

Comment

Best I can tell, the boot lid is covered in the same vinyl as the other interior panels. Did you purchase quality OEM-type vinyl from one of the reputable sources (GAHH, World Upholstery, Global Upholstery)?

Cory
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

I recently recovered the boot lid on my vert. I found that the material needed to be heated to stretch around the corners. I used a heat gun that I normally use for shrink tube with wiring and got the material nice and hot without burning or melting it and it stretched around nicely. I bought serveral packages of binder clips to hold the vinyl in place while the glue dried. I used regular contact cement for the glue the vinyl down. Be careful not to cut too much material in the corners. You can always trim it after the glue has dried. I made that mistake and want to do it over again. I bought enough material to do it twice anyway. Here's an album of photos I took during the process. Oldest photos at the bottom

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like MoreMayhem.

Also: the clips that hold the chrome trim will probably break when you remove them. I think I broke 10 during removal. It needs 15 total. They're not stocked at any dealer in the US. Getting them from the faterland took a few weeks. Here's the part you need:

Search 51131932801 - Page 1 - ECS Tuning

I got them from my local dealer who gives me a decent discount, so I think I ended up paying about $3.75 each.
        Last edited by MoreMayhem; 08-30-2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoreMayhem View Post
          I recently recovered the boot lid on my vert. I found that the material needed to be heated to stretch around the corners. I used a heat gun that I normally use for shrink tube with wiring and got the material nice and hot without burning or melting it and it stretched around nicely. I bought serveral packages of binder clips to hold the vinyl in place while the glue dried. I used regular contact cement for the glue the vinyl down. Be careful not to cut too much material in the corners. I made that mistake and want to do it over again. I bought enough material to do it twice anyway. Here's an album of photos I took during the process. Oldest photos at the bottom:

https://imgur.com/gallery/4utbi9w

Looks great! What did you use to remove the old glue?
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

Looks great! What did you use to remove the old glue?
            Thank you ! Removed the old glue with Goo Gone and a plastic scraper. Some of the paint got scraped off in one spot too, but not the primer.

Comment

Originally posted by MoreMayhem View Post

Search 51131932801 - Page 1 - ECS Tuning

I got them from my local dealer who gives me a decent discount, so I think I ended up paying about $3.75 each.
              Thanks I needed this!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X